Asked on Jan 5, 2019

Why are the leaves turning yellow?

Albert WallMlle LaFleurPatty
+17

I am in Florida! Live on sandy soil! Gets sunshine and rain!

q why are the leaves turning yellow
q why are the leaves turning yellow
  • Oliva

Too much water or insufficient water may cause yellowing leaves.

• Mlle LaFleur

In early spring heavily prune this bush, it is leggy and when properly pruned all of the leaves will get sun. Before the rains begin add fertilizer. Note the space between shoots, that tells me pruning is needed. you can prune some of it now and do more in the spring. get advice from your county extension office if you are unsure about any of this.

• Subramanian Iyer

like human beings,plants leaves also get old and start losing Chlorophyll which keeps them green. When young, it can be also due to insufficient excess water/lack of nutrient in mud

• Salmahoozi

Yellow leaves could be of watering more than required.

• Tcs

Too much water.

• Lifestyles Homes

Check for too alkaline soil. May also be iron poor.

Miracle Grow used to make a product called Miracid. Pink box.

• Saskie

Yellowing leaves often indicate a lack of iron. Purchase Iron Chelate at your garden center and use according to directions on the container. The plants often have a deficiency in the intake of nutrients from the soil. This is often a cause of yellowing leaves in roses as well. Certain plants and varieties are more resistant to this than others.

• Patty

looks like maybe it needs a haircut and some fertilizer.

• Lifestyles Homes

When you trim it, cut back no more than 1/3 of the length of the branch and cut back about 1/8” above a growth bud.

• Albert Wall

Thanks. I think you are correct! Especially the hair cut. If I only knew how.

Thanks

• Mlle LaFleur

Save your money and first have the soil tested at the Extension service. Worth it in the long run as your other plants will benefit.

• Mlle LaFleur

I live in Broward County and I found that the extension service people to be very helpful, ask them for pruning advice, and they have loads of free pamphlets. We all start from the beginning with only our willingness to learn.

• Albert Wall

So true, I’m willing to learn.