Asked on Jan 11, 2019

How can I find a safer alternative to bleach?

RymeaLinda SikutJohnavallance82

I HAVE RENTED A SHARED SPACE THET HAS A PAINTED CONCRETE FLOOR; THE NATURE OF THE BUISNESS IS FLOWERS, POTTING, BOQUETTES, SUPPLYING , DELIVERING; I LIKE THE PLACE DUE TO THE SMALL PATIO IN THE BACK,--- A SIT-DOWN COFFEE BREAK. AS YOU CAN GUESS THE FLOOR GETS MESSY FROM LEAF CUTTINGS, POTTING SOIL AND GENERAL FOOT TRAFFIC. THE FLOORS ARE SWEPT DURING AND AFTER SHIFT; BUT ON WEEK-END A CLEANER COMES IN AND SCRUBS WITH BLEACH....THE CHLORINE ODER IS GASTLY; AND STILL CAN BE DETECTED ON MONDAY MORNINGS. ANY IDEAS ABOUT A SAFER CLEANER?

I ASK BECAUSE THE PLACE IS PET FRIENDLY.....OR SHOULD I SAY UN-FRIENDLY; THE BLEACH IS NOT GOOD FOR DOGS FEET; AND SOME SNACKS AS THE OWNERS LIKE TO GIVE OUT TREATS...... HELP PLEASE

• Johnavallance82

Maybe try Floral disinfectant added to the water instead of bleach. (Much more acceptable) I was a Florist myself in another life!

• Linda Sikut

Hi Yeveschenko,

This is Linda. There are other possibilities for cleaning too. Vinegar and water will kill germs or you could have your cleaner use lemon juice & water which will give your shop a wonderful scent. Try them both and see what works for you. I'd also suggest adding a few drops of Dawn to the mixture. I use vinegar, water & Dawn for a lot of cleaning in our home due to the antibacterial nature of vinegar. You could even add a few drops of a favorite essential oil if you want. Your shop would smell wonderful. I hope this helps. Wishing you the best.

• Rymea

I would just tell the cleaning company what you don't want them to use and let them figure it out.