Pulled up the carpet on stairs...now what to do?

+15
My hubby pulled up the 70's carpet on the stairs and found beautiful boards there. Now what to do? I know there are oodles of staple holes and larger holes from the nails holding down the nail strips. Do I just use regular wood putty and will it hold a stain if I decide to stain them?
q stair carpet removal process, diy, flooring, hardwood floors, stairs, Before pulling carpet
Before pulling carpet
q stair carpet removal process, diy, flooring, hardwood floors, stairs, Before taking up the foam underlay
Before taking up the foam underlay
q stair carpet removal process, diy, flooring, hardwood floors, stairs, All pulled and I washed them down with Fels Naptha soap and water Love the look of the fresh wood Just don t want to fall down the stairs if I stain them Is there a special product so I won t slip on them
All pulled and I washed them down with Fels Naptha soap and water. Love the look of the fresh wood. Just don't want to fall down the stairs if I stain them. Is there a special product so I won't slip on them?