What depth size drywall & screws to use to replace garage ceiling?

• Cindy Cindy on Mar 15, 2019

Hello Arlene. Half-inch drywall would be ideal for this purpose. Screws should be at least one and a quarter inch long. Good luck Arlene.

• Maynard Maynard on Mar 15, 2019

Because you are asking the screws to work against gravity, I suggest you use 1 5/8" screws. On drywall screws, the first quarter inch is given to the tapered point, so with a 1 1/4 inch screw you really only have 1/2 of an inch of screw holding the drywall up. THe addition of an extra 3/8" of screw might make the difference between doing it once and doing it over, and the cos difference is pennies.

You can rent a drywall jack that lifts and holds it in place while you set the screws.

• Jody B Nash Jody B Nash on Mar 15, 2019

I would put up the least expensive "paneling" I could find. It could be spray painted or rollered before installation. You wouldn't have to tape, bed, or texture.