Asked on Mar 19, 2019

How can I make unsightly old air conditioner look better?

Michelle LeslieBobbieBev
+5

The air conditioners stick all the way out not just a few inches and they are old and ugly.

• Kay
    Kay

Try painting them the same color as walls to make them blend in. Also maybe google question because I recall seeing an option for hiding them.

• Karen
      Karen

Thanks, but I can't paint as I am renting. Maybe I can cover sides with contact paper.

I appreciate you trying to help.

• Linda Sikut
    Linda Sikut

Hi Karen,

Here's an idea that might help you. You could build this to any height that you need to hide the air conditioner, just be sure to leave room for air circulation around the air conditioner. Wishing you the best.

https://www.thekimsixfix.com/2015/07/disguise-your-ac-with-diy-louvered.html

• Linda Sikut
      Linda Sikut

Karen, is it the inside or the outside of the air conditioner that you're trying to hide? The one I found was for outside so it wouldn't involve painting inside the unit or the house itself. Some people hang drapes across a wall to hide the inside part of the air conditioner, then pull it over to use the unit. Are you allowed to put up drapery bracket? If so, that might work. You'll want to find long brackets that come out far enough for the hide the unit. It might even be possible to play with Command hooks that can be removed. It would take some thinking outside of the box to do that, but there might be a way to make it work. Good luck to you.

• Bev
    Bev

Also consider painting the outside of the A/C same or color to blend with house color.

• Bobbie
    Bobbie

You could put a shadow box type frame around them. The face of the air conditioner “frame” can be covered in a decorative metal like chicken wire to camouflage it

• Michelle Leslie
    Michelle Leslie

Hi Karen, here are few ideas you can try to hide or camouflage that aircon - https://hvac.ninja/articles/hide-outdoor-ac/