How do I upgrade a kitchen cabinet area?

+4

Just bought a home and I am getting estimates for a bit of a kitchen upgrade (cabinets, counter, backsplash). What are the simple and basic questions to look for when talking to contractors? Not trying to spend and arm and leg, lol. Thanks.

• 2dogal 2dogal on Mar 19, 2019

Do your homework first. Check out styles and what the cabinets are made of. Check out just replacing doors rather than the whole cabinet. Know the pros and cons of different kinds of counter tops.

Get things in writing so there is no misunderstanding.

• Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Mar 19, 2019

Hi LaQuetis, here's 15 question you can ask your contractor - https://www.homeadvisor.com/r/15-questions-to-ask-contractors/ Best of luck with your upgrade

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Mar 19, 2019

Are they licensed get a permit very important.ask for references do they have insurance.when will job be completed and if not done what will be done for you .i just did this be careful my contractor had no license or insurance the state is looking for him now.we are sueing him in court now to .

• Deborah Trujillo Deborah Trujillo on Mar 19, 2019

Just use professionals..and make sure you both agree on the corner cabinets..my corner was not done as I asked,now it's small deep and useless..i wanted a lazy Susan in the corner,didn't happen...got excuses instead..

• Flipturn Flipturn on Mar 21, 2019

Hire only those contractors that are willing to work with a contract signed at the same time by both themselves and you. Neither verbal agreements or 'handshakes' only are considered to be legal contracts.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Mar 21, 2019

Ask who pays for enlarged copies of blueprints (if necessary) and who pays for fees at city dump, or haul away fees?