Judy Kelley
Judy Kelley
  • Pleasant Grove, AL
Asked on Aug 5, 2014

Painting deck

KathyJan LoehrDal8338065
+71

I am considering painting my deck with either a product from Lowes' or Home depot that puts a new finish on your deck. Which product is better? Also, can anyone recommend a good deck cleaner?
q decks painting cleaning tips, decks, diy, home maintenance repairs, painting
30 of 59 answers
  • Carol Harris

I was thinking about using deckover, and checked it out on line and ask on this page decided not to use it, so glad I didn't, but got some good advice from hometalk, so I used Behr stain and sealed all in one, I'm happy with my decision, good luck with whatever you decide.

• Amanda Kohl

I built a pool deck using reclaimed wood from an old barn that we tore down. I sanded the planks and then used Glove-It marine epoxy, that is used on boats. I ordered it from Amazon, it's a little pricy for each quart, but well worth the price.

q decks painting cleaning tips, decks, diy, home maintenance repairs, painting, Glove It marine epoxy Repels water in the splash zone of the pool better than I ever expected
  • Toni Allgeier Jines

Do not use the deckover. I used it last year and none of the things they state are true. Its much hotter than my plain deck and its coming off. I followed directions exactly as stated.

• Kathy Fleming

We researched products from Home Depot and Lowes and after reading poor reviews for the Home Depot product, purchased one from Lowe's. It is called Rescue It and you can watch a video online for instructions on how to apply it. We also purchased the deck cleaner, which we used first, then sanded the deck. It looks really good and we are pleased with the quality of the product.

• Mikell Paulson

We did ours last summer with Restore! It is chipping and coming off in a lot of places. Our deck is 12X 32 so it was not cheap to do! Next summer a new deck and we will just stain it!

• Linda K

I don't recommend ever painting a deck! When we bought our home it was 6 yrs. old and the treated lumber was already rotting in many places and the paint was peeled terribly where the sun was most brutal. I saw that on a lot of new homes I was looking at also. Builders took the easy cheap method. Now after replacing all of the decking and rails, I have tried to get the horrid paint off the posts and it doesn't want to come off where it was shaded. Terrible mess! I am only staining my new deck with a high quality stain. I will never paint!

• Cheryl Anderson

Talk to the experts at Lowes or Home Depot and watch the video's that Rustoleum has on their products. http://www.rustoleum.com/Rustoleum/pages/homeowner/how-to-videos/

• Mikell Paulson

That is what we did on our deck last year, now it is peeling and chipping. We bought ours at Home Depot. I would not do it again!

• St. Paul Haus

Clean the deck with deck wash and a brush. Do not use a pressure washer. Let the deck dry fully (days) and use a stain. I would not recommend a paint product. Stain will fade but it is easy to apply more every couple of years. Paint will always fail and chip. Also you have to do a ton of work when repainting (sanding, removing loose paint, etc). My brother used one of those deck paint products last year. Less than a year later parts have peeled up on the decking in high traffic areas. The railing still look nice.

• CK

@St. Paul Haus True about paint vs stain. However I've used deck stain with just about as much 'fail' as flooring paint here in ND. The truth is, a horizontal surface will always need more upkeep than a vertical one...at least in my own experience.

• Madeline M

I used Olympic Rescue It on our wooden porch and am very pleased! Did not hear good things about the Rustoleum product (too thick, texture, etc.) Our Extension office recommended a mixture of 1 cup beach, 1 cup SpicNSpan, 1 cup powdered laundry detergent to a gallon of water. Worked better than the retail deck cleaner that I bought.

• Darlene Nieman Morris

Thanks for the info!

• Marion Nesbitt

Once you pressure wash off old finishes, apply Tung oil. It seeps into the wood fibres and strengthens them. Darkens the wood a tone but protects from moisture, doesn't get boiling hot, etc. Then reapply as needed. Worked for me. Haven't heard good things about the Rustoleum product. Maggiescornerdotorg uses Lindseed oil - below.

• Karen

We researched both Restore and Rescue, knowing people in our subdivision had used both. NONE of the people that had used either of these products were happy. The biggest complaint was that it chipped off in high traffic areas and not being able to set patio furniture on it without it rubbing off. We decided to go with semi transparent stain from Behr. Absolutely love it.

• Cheryl Anderson

Did you let the wood DRY for several day? Because I know you have to let the wood be completely dry and then not apply the product during certain temps or times of day. Perhaps you did not follow the directions 100%?

• Robin

We were disappointed with the Home Depot Behr brand. In less than a year it has peeled up in strips. Followed directions, but the deck had been stained and water treated in the past which may have added to our problems.

• Cheryl Anderson

I have NEVER liked the Behr products. I would trust Rustoleum.

• Patsy Price

Olympic all the way. I have tried others and hatted them, they did not perform well.

• Debbie Kuhar

I bought an attachment for my pressure washer at Lowes. A large, round scrubbing brush that you attach to the end of your pressure washer. And I use dawn dish detergent to scrub my deck. I throw buckets of dawn in the water andscrub away. I have a 20 yr old trex deck

• Jill

I have a cedar deck and have used a pressure washer on it. The secret is to keep the spray pattern wide and keep it moving, you will get a feel for how long you can leave the washer on one area without damaging the deck if you have a tough spot. Let it dry for a week, I have used SuperDeck (it has a duck logo - at the local Ace Hardware store). I have used the Natural, but you can get it tinted or it comes in a variety of colours). Follow the directions as far as application temp range. This is the product the US Forest Service uses on its outdoor products and I have found it lasts about 2 yrs before you need to refresh the coating. I did use a Behr product in the past and was not happy - it seemed like it began to peel within a few months.

• Kathy

Restore is an awesome product to redo a deck. It is thick, covers well and does not chip. We redid a large deck and it came out beautiful and is still in good shape after a few winter snow seasons. They also have stain to match as we did that too on all the railings. It even works on concrete as we did our very old front porch that had pitted areas. Highly recommend this product for its beauty, restoration and durability.

• Debbie Kuhar

I just save an article on Restore. interesting.article.

• Mikell Paulson

I used the Restore by Rustoleum. I hate that it did not last a year. My deck is 12X 32, and was not a cheap fix. Followed the directions to a tee. I hate that next year we will remove the deck and do cedar and Tung oil! Good luck

• Debbie Kuhar

Just type in your search engine, Rustoleum, but I may have read mine throw Home Depot pro. Mikell is right, there are alot of steps to follow and I do not think you can get it done in one day. Being I have the trex deck, I only looked throw the article briefly

• Kimber Otis-Kennedy

I bought the Restolium and will begin my huge week long (at least) project next week. In the mean time, after reading the cons of this product, I have a BIG question that I need answered ASAP as I am purchasing the rest of the materials on Friday. Can Restore 4x Deck Coat be applied over Oil Based Products? . I want to apply Clear Preserve first which is an oil based product. Will Restore 4x Deck Coat adhere or will it peel off? If it will peel off, what can I coat the deck with as a primer to avoid peeling. I want this to last many many years, 12 + as they say it will. Please advise. Thanks!

• Kathy

@Kimber Otis-Kennedy You can call the restore company as I did and they are extremely helpful. In fact I actually purchased my paint from the directly since they offered 5 gallon containers.

• Kathy Fleming

Kimber, I suggest you go to the Lowe's website and type in restore it video. It may answer your questions. If not, check with a person in that department and hopefully you.can get your questions answered.

• Mikell Paulson

I will regret that I did this to the deck! Think long and hard before you do your deck!

• Lee Cunningham Green

Power wash the deck first, you will be surprised how clean you can make it with some strong water. Then assess if you need to treat your deck and how.

• Ann Sargent-Henderson

For cleaning the deck, before using the new deck refinisher, I suggest using a pressure washer. It will remove a lot more than a chemical purchased in a jug and less money too!

• Dal8338065

This product didn't last 2 years. (Rustoleum 10x) I called the company, and they wanted my receipt to replace the product. I didn't want a replacement. The stuff peels off in pieces. You have to scrape the rest of it off. Read the fine print. It is toxic if you sand it off. I've found that regular paint/stain lasts much longer, and is MUCH cheaper.

• Jan Loehr

I see you live in the South as we do so no freezing cold storms to worry about...we have an enclosed back screen porch with a protected floor which has on a nice brown stain from Home Depot and it has lasted for years...but outside there is a small landing and steps going down to our yard, so that required a different approach...after not doing anything to the steps for several years they weathered very gray...this Spring, I went to Home Depot and got their Semi Transparent Deck Stain, comes in many many colors...just brushed it on directly to the weathered wood and it gave a great new look to the whole thing and it required no sanding or prep work at all...so I may have to paint it on again in a few years but this worked very well and was easy...I have read numerous negative reviews about this Restore product and I personally would never use it...

• Kathy

I used restore and was extremely happy with the results and how well it covered. It doesn't peel or chip. They have paint and matching stain. Used the paint on the deck and stain on railings. 4 years and still looks good.