Jaclyn
Jaclyn
  • Hackettstown, NJ

Faux Stained-Glass Butterfly Craft

$10

Make faux stained-glass butterflies using cardstock, glue, watercolors, and downloadable butterfly template.

This butterfly craft is great for older children or adults. For younger children, you might want to complete the glue steps, allow to dry, then simply have the children paint their stained glass butterflies.

faux stained glass butterfly craft

Download the printable butterfly template here and print out on cardstock.

faux stained glass butterfly craft

Open the top of a bottle of glue. Pour a small bit out, if necessary, so that there is room to add black paint.

Add about a tablespoon of black paint, place the lid back on and shake well. 

Check the color to see if a dark grey / black color has been achieved. If not, add a bit more black paint and shake again.

faux stained glass butterfly craft

Trace all of the lines on the butterfly template with the black glue.

faux stained glass butterfly craft

After allowing the glue to dry completely, use scissors to cut the butterflies out.

faux stained glass butterfly craft

Use watercolors to paint the butterflies.

faux stained glass butterfly craft

The black glue will help keep each color from bleeding into other areas. 

faux stained glass butterfly craft

All the paint to dry fully before displaying your beautiful stained glass butterflies.

A fun way to display these watercolor butterflies in the classroom is to make 2 and glue them together, back to back. Then, hang them from the ceiling using fishing line or clear thread so it will give the illusion that they are flying. 

Head over to my blog post to download the butterfly template so that you can print it out and get started on this fun craft.

Jaclyn

• Cproulx

What can I do to fix mine? It's peeling...

• Jaclyn

Oh no! That is such a beautiful design, I hope you can get it to stick back on!! This butterfly faux stained glass project is meant for paper (cardstock) — not glass. I have not tried anything like this on glass before. You could try using mod podge to “glue” the design back on, but I have not tried this myself so I can’t be sure how it will work. Good luck!

• Cathi

I have black glitter glue left over from another project. Do you think that will work for this project instead of mixing paint and glue?

• Jewellmartin

It certainly should work, if you let it dry completely. Chalk paint (latex) is water soluble, as is glitter glue, but when it is as thick as glue, it will act as a barrier for this kind of drying. Have a blast!

• Theresa
    2 hours ago

How to get rid of groundhogs

• Lau30852322

My mother's church ladies have a luncheon for various things ((mother's day being one special one) . They have a contest for "crazy hats" and I was just thinking your butterflies would also look fantastic adorning a hat all over and would probably take a prize for most creative and/or prettiest hat.

• Jaclyn

Love this idea! So creative! If you do make a butterfly hat I would love to see how it comes out!

• Rose M Fagan

What a pretty butterfly and terrific idea.