How do I fill in panel gaps?


I have wood paneling in my living area. The gaps between each panel are about the width of my index finger. The previous owner of our home painted the paneling, and now the paint has cracked in every panel seam. I’ve read that I can fill it with caulk, and that it is less of a mess than putty. I’d eventually repaint everything. Thoughts? Best type of caulk to use? Thanks!

  6 answers
  • Shore grandmom Shore grandmom on Mar 25, 2019

    Caulk tends to shrink, then you'll have gaps anyway. Try using drywall compound and use a big putty knife to spread it into the gaps. Allow it to dry, sand and fill in where needed. Allow to dry and sand.

  • William William on Mar 25, 2019

    You want to use 100% paintable silicone caulk..

  • Joan Joan on Mar 25, 2019

    You could also use drywall mud.

  • Paintable caulk is key, but over time it may crack too.

  • My mom found a special underlayment wallpaper that covers gaps and cracks. It is paintable, or you can use other wallpaper over it.

    She covered several walls of paneling and you can't tell that it was ever there. I can't remember offhand what is called, but you should be able to find it at good paint, hardware, or home improvement stores.

  • Diane Platte Diane Platte on Mar 26, 2019

    Fill them in and sand them down, so when you paint no one will ever know

    • Nowhat Nowhat on Mar 26, 2019

      Fill them in with what? Some items shrink, have you an idea there or are just blowing in the wind?

Your comment...