Asked on Mar 27, 2019

How do I remove a mothball odor from the attic?

Anna Kathryn LuskCarole Ann KaplanRosa Irlanda
+15

I put a very large number of mothballs in the attic and on the insulation to deter the squirrels. Now I have the odor of mothballs coming into my home, worse in some areas than others. Could someone please give me ideas on how to remove the mothball odor??? The mothballs are all in the insulation. HELP!!!!

• Carole Ann Kaplan
    Carole Ann Kaplan

Short of replacing all the insulation. I rent and don't own my home.

• Alice
    Alice

Naphthalene mothballs can take many months for the odor to go away while p-DCB usually evaporates away within a month. Put out a bowl of vinegar or coffee grounds to help absorb the odor. Charcoal will soak up odors as well and help remove the moth ball smell.

• Sharon
    Sharon

I would get Room Shocker thats used by contractors to get rid of obnoxious odors. Amazon has them, home depot, lowes, walmart.

• Caroleann
    Caroleann

Sharon, thank you!!!!

• Rosa Irlanda
    Rosa Irlanda

I know that this is a whole year later, but if you still check this and have any advice that served you later that you wish you knew please pass it along! I made the same mistake and boy is my family paying for it.

• Carole Ann Kaplan
    Carole Ann Kaplan

Rosa, the mothballs are still bad now that the temperature is getting hotter.

• Anna Kathryn Lusk
    Anna Kathryn Lusk

Uhg I did the same thing! Can I get a vaccum up there or just pick them out out by one!? My whole family has a headache !!!

• Rosa Irlanda
      Rosa Irlanda

If you don’t have loose insulation in your attic, picking them out one by one shouldn’t be hard and it will definitely help. Wear gloves to take them out and a mask to avoid getting a worse headache. Once you’ve gotten them out double bag it and dump them outside right away.