Aged Terracotta Pots DIY

$10

Spring is such a lovely time of year. Full of longer sunny days, birds chirping, green grass and blooming flowers. And even though the weather outside may not seem like it just yet...spring is coming! So until it decides to warm up around here, I'll just enjoy the feel of springtime inside my house ;)

Flower pots always say spring to me, and I love the look of aged terracotta pots...so I decided to try my hand at DIY-ing some. There are a lot of different ways to do it and really no way to do it wrong, because your end goal is to make the pots look worn and old! It just depends on the look you are going for. I just used stuff I already had laying around from painting my oak trim (that's a whole other post!) and I love how they turned out!

Supplies:

Zinsser Cover Stain oil-based primer

Mineral spirits

Paint brush

Terracotta pots

Sandpaper (medium grit)

I got these small terracotta pots at Home Depot for only 78 cents each!

I had this primer from painting trim and I liked the way it left an almost gritty texture when it dried. So instead of buying something else, I decided to use it. Chalk paint would give you a similar effect too.

First I covered the table where I was going to paint. Then I rinsed my paint brush in mineral spirits before I painted. This helped to thin the oil based primer a little.

I made sure I didn't have a lot of paint on my brush, and then just started painting until I liked it. I was going for a more worn look, so I left areas less painted than others.

Once all the pots were painted I used some medium grit sandpaper to smooth out the brush marks and further distress them. You can see the difference between the sanded one and the un-sanded one. It's totally up to you! I just liked the sanded look better for mine.

After I sanded the pots I used a wet paper towel to remove the dust.

And that's it friends! I love how they turned out. No two are alike and I really like how the paint softens the terracotta color- making them perfect for my spring decor!

Jordan|featherbrained~fancy