Asked on Apr 4, 2019

Can I use composite decking for an outside dog kennel floor?

JenniLaurieIrene
+5

I am putting up a new 10 x 10 outside dog kennel. I need to place it on a "floor" so the dog can't dig under the wire fence kennel. I can use cement sidewalk blocks but they get rocky and uneven with the freeze/thaw cycle (been there, done that). I can do cement but fairly expensive. I don't want a treated wood floor because it may make any urine smell worse as the urine soaks into the wood. I have thought of crushed gravel as a base with cement sidewalk blocks on top or making a floor with composite deck boards that could be scrubbed and hosed off better than treated wood decking. Has anyone ever used the composite decking boards for this purpose?

• Tinyshoes
    Tinyshoes

We used a concrete slab for bird dogs and contrary to what some people say our dogs feet were fine.

• Lifestyles Homes
    Lifestyles Homes

I have not, but I think your logic is correct.

William

Consider that dog urine can affect the composite decking in some way. It is a mixture of wood fibers and resins.

• Shore grandmom
    Shore grandmom

Composite decking can be pretty pricey. Also, it does stain, no matter what people tell you. And it gets very hot in the sun. If it's to hot for your bare feet, it's to hot for your dogs feet, too.

• Mark P
      Mark P

I agree about price and heat. If you use it, get the lightest color available.

Also, you will want to power wash it occasionally to keep it clean.

• Irene
    Irene

What about using chain link under the kennel? Attach it to the bottom of the whole thing and bury it a couple of inches.

• Laurie
    Laurie

we used stall mats. easy to lay down and they were on sale.

• Jenni
    Jenni

I've seen many people use hay in their dog's houses/kennels. It helps keep them warm too. Maybe over concrete?

You could "bury" metal along the edge of the kennel. Cookie sheet size