Asked on Apr 6, 2019

Hot to paint a metal drum?

SherylLynn SorrellWilliam
+5

I have recently painted a metal drum and put bug stencils on it. It will be for a child’s area at a park playground. I used glidden exterior satin paint and primer. I used acrylic paint for bug stencils. Do I need to coat it with a clear sealer? I have tried googling and haven’t found anyone to give just a simple straight answer. Does anyone know if I should do this? Thank you!

• Scarlet Paolicchi

The acrylic paint won't last outdoors for too long without a sealer.

• Homeroad

Hi Sheryl, I would coat it with an outdoor waterbased poly just to be sure. You can get one that sprays on or paints on but an extra layer of protection can not hurt.

• Laura Cooper

I would use your thumb nail at an inconspicuous spot and do a scratch test. Not all acrylic paints are equal. My whole home is painted in acrylic and it's extremely durable. It is an exterior grade full acrylic paint. If it holds up to a scratch test after fully curing, you shouldn't need a clear coat

Use Helmsman Spar Urethane. Spray or brush on.

• Lynn Sorrell

Yes it needs sealed------Rust-Oleum Stops Rust Crystal Clear Enamel Spray on acrylic painted metal. The coating provides additional UV protection and achieves full durability once it's fully cured in 7 to 10 days. Yellow typically occurs from tanin bleed-through from wood or overapplication of the clear coat. We recommend applying 2 or more light coats a few minutes apart for the best results. - Rust-Oleum Product Support https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Stops-Rust-12-oz-Protective-Enamel-Gloss-Crystal-Clear-Spray-Paint-6-Pack-7701830/202058776 that's great for you to make this for the kids. my friends & I got some old unused fire hydrants and painted them bright colors for a dog bark we helped the city build.

• Lynn Sorrell

contact local city, county or even fire departments about ones they no longer need,discountnued,broken to see if they will donate or sell low cost for your project.that is how we got ours

• Sheryl

Thanks everyone for the good advice! The census lean toward sealing it so that I will do! Thanks everyone!!!