Nakeisha F
Nakeisha F
  • Loganville, GA
Asked on Jun 27, 2012

Can a red front door work with this color brick?

Candy WalshNakeisha FGrannylannie
+45

I am seeking suggestion on what color to choose for my front door. I am leaning more towards red but not sure if it would work with this color brick. What do you think?
My front porch
My front porch
This is the color I chose for my front door, sundried tomato SW 7585.  For some reason the old pic brick color looks a bit darker than the present pic.  This could be because I had taken the pic with my cell phone vs my canon cam.
This is the color I chose for my front door, sundried tomato SW 7585. For some reason the old pic brick color looks a bit darker than the present pic. This could be because I had taken the pic with my cell phone vs my canon cam.
  • 3po3

I would think a green or blue would be better. Not sure about red on red, but I'm no design expert. I'm sure you will get more useful opinions on here.

• Hometipster.com

Red is a very dominant color. If you really like it then go for it, but I would suggest a blood red as it would contrast the red bricks.

• Jane S

With black shutters and white posts I would use black or white. I think red would blend in to the brick color and it seems like maybe you want your door to stand out form the walls. Also black and white are both neutral colors so you could add any color wreath or swag to it for decorating.

• Jeanette S

When in doubt about color...go across the color wheel...that would be blue or even green. But make it a shade that will show up and not look so much like black. Some of those blues and greens are indistinguishable at a distance. LOVE your flowerbed...neatly trimmed bushes, colorful mulch and beautilfully laid out flowerbed! Good job!

• Lori J

Print the photo out, get some paint chips and a pair of scissors. Low tech--but it will help you see the possibilities. I think reds are hard to match and can be ucky when they don't. I agree with the suggestion to try some blues/greens.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Too much red, not enough contrast.

• Leslie D

Do a google search for "red brick house front door", then choose "Images" at the top of the page. You will see doors in a rainbow of colors against red brick and it will help you see what it may look like on your home.

• Kelly

My vote would be for something other than red. I think black would look great - or even yellow. check out John & Sherry's house over at Young House Love - they have red brick and black shutters with a yellow door. http://www.younghouselove.com/photo-gallery-2/our-current-house/

• Sharron W

Wow Leslie, I didn't know you could do a search for all that...

• Elena W

HELLO...HOW ARE YOU DOING?

• Sheila M

In my opinion, I would go for a light oak with stained glass with some red, blue, and green in it. All red would not give you that attraction. The front door is your focal point, it should catch the attention, but you want that to be ahhh not ohh.

• Theresa Terri Z

how about a black door & shutters - it would be a knockout

• Virginia

You can paint your door any color you want. But, you could match your shutters color to the front door. If you have "paint brush" on your computer, you could just play with different colors (instead of real painting) & see what you like. I'd go for a soft green (but you'd have to paint the shutters too).

• Nakeisha F

Wow, I appreciate everyone's comments and thank you all for taking the time out to do so! @ Jeanette S, thank you for the compliment...will let hubby know -:). @ Kelly, thanks much for the info, will check it out. God bless!

• Nakeisha F

@ Virginia, thanks didn't even thought of that...great idea, will do!

• Bernice H

Leslie...I think this color is beautiful for this door! Very classy! Nakeisha ..you have lots to think about!

• Sharron W

Well Took Leslie's idea and looked it up, while I like the color she posted in her picture above, Mostly I like it because the door itself is awesome....So went back through Nakeisha's original pictures and noticed that the door and shutters DO match and they are both black, the trim of the house however is white and looking on Google for red brick +various color doors; the one that really "popped" for me was the crisp white...I just thought it really made a statement. so that's my vote....

• Joy2Journey

I think you have to be careful on the green color you choose (if you decide to go that way) as it could become the "Christmas House". Another idea is to paint the brick and then you could have any door color you wanted! Just a thought. :)

• Virginia

No, the green won't make it a "Christmas house", it's a soft green (you can see the house w/this door is red brick too). Just got to make those shutters match. You know what I'd do... I'd put a tall evergreen on the far left (make sure you space it right so when it grows it will still be set properly). This will extend the length of your home (as it softens that side). I'd put up a porch swing on that far left (although, if you get a small table & 2 rocking chairs that would be more versatile). I saw that set at Big Lots (metal) they are comfortable too. Anyway, I'd put that tree on the left (to give privacy) then on those round bushes, I'd find out what they are and plant 1 in between each. This way you could square that off (instead of rounding them). Now, you'd have some privacy to sit & talk & have tea. They would still be low enough for security. If you don't like those bushes I'd use gardenia's (as they are evergreens) and have beautiful white flowers (they grow from cuttings).

• Nakeisha F

I really like everyone's idea and as Bernice H says, "I have a lot to think about!" Thanks everyone for comments.

• Mark J

I love this!

• Pam K

Why not go black? It'd look stunning with your shutters.

• Sharron W

@ Pam....It's already Black...and so are the shutters...

• Chandra V

I have red brick with white trim windows and just did my door buttercream yellow. Prior to that it was a beautiful periwinkle

• Linda S

i havee a red brick house with white trim, front door has lead glass window with brass in it. i did door black with brass kick plate and brass victorian doorbell, looks awsome. it's really hard to work around red. best bets anything but. because they clash

• Modern Masters

Hi @Nakeisha F - We just posted a new article here on HomeTalk that covers best tips and tools for choosing a perfect front door color. Stop on by and discover our new Front Door Paint collection. We also have an app that helps you choose the perfect color right from your phone! http://www.hometalk.com/4010349/tips-tools-for-choosing-the-perfect-front-door-color

• Nakeisha F

Thank you!

• Marci

Black would be best

• Nakeisha F

Thank you Marci!

• Robin

Red would look great!

• Nakeisha F

Thank you @ Robin Saginaw! I actually painted red and will share pics later on.

• Robin

Can't wait to see it!

• Nakeisha F

@Robin As soon as I decorate that area a little, then I will take pics and post.

• Judy H.

We painted our front door red on our brick house, (similar color to your brick). I could not get it off of there fast enough, yuck! Some neighbors painted the door on their house with the same kind of brick a bright navy. It looks fabulous and yes, they have black shutters. We have no shutters on our house, but lots of white trim, we painted our door a deep "grayish aqua" color and I love it!

• Nakeisha F

@Judy H. Grayish aqua sounds like a nice color. Well, thank God you found something else to substitute for the red.

• Valerie

I personally would paint the shutters and the door white. I must say that your flowers are really beautiful!

• Jar535883

I would paint it white.

• Marianne

I like what Chandra did....a buttercream color would really bring out your landscaping flowers. If you chose red I would pick the lightest or darkest color in the brick. But I just love that buttercream idea. No matter what, I a sure you will choose well.

• Pat880866

A yellow would be great. I see you did the red, do you like it?

• Pat880866

My mistake - misread something. Red would be fighting with the brick color. Yellow, blue, aqua, black - just not red.

• Carol

A contrasting color would pop more than a red door. Try a green or blue or a pale goldish yellow.

• Stefanie Stephens

Black would be stunning, but also any bright color not in the red family. A sunny bright yellow would really pop. My last choice would be red as it would get lost in your brick color.

• Nakeisha F

Thanks everyone for your opinions, I appreciate them all!

• Grannylannie

I wanted a red to go with grey siding and brick below. I found a color that was a good match the red brick @ Home Depot and I love it with the grey

• Nakeisha F

Thanks Grannylannie!

• Candy Walsh

I'm trying to make the same decision too, but I also want it to flow into the colors of my interior. So I'm thinking a yellow or light/aqua blue. I actually like the door you have now with the red bricks.