Cheryl
Cheryl
Asked on Apr 15, 2019

How do you get windows open that have been sealed shut with caulking?

BeckyGathered In The KitchenJoy30150932
+1

I recently bought an older home, and didn't realize that the windows had been sealed shut with clear caulking. The windows r metal. I've tried box knife, screwdriver, etc. Apparently when the windows were open, caulk was spread into the track then the window was closed. Help!!

• Dfm

silicone caulk, or regular caulk? Regular caulk will become brittle and you can chip it off. Silicon caulk usually be peeled off. If the “caulking “ was construction adhesive...there may be a solvent for it.

• Joy30150932

You need to cut the caulking with a utility knife and remove it so that the windows move freely. There is a solution called Silicone Remover which will help you to remove most of the residue. As a last resort, maybe if you warm the caulk up with a hair blower it may become soft enough for you to move it.

• Gathered In The Kitchen

I would search for a solvent or you could give a heat gun a try...just be careful and use proper protection. I used it to remove lead paint: http://gatheredinthekitchen.com/2019/02/08/how-to-use-a-heat-gun-to-remove-paint-from-wood/

• Becky

Try “Goof Off” power solvent. But get it in the spray can. It worked for me.