Kathleen
Kathleen
  • North Port, FL
Asked on Apr 16, 2019

How can I match kitchen cabinet door replacement to cabinets?

PamelaJessica VanderVeenDee
+5

I cannot afford to replace my kitchen cabinets. They are made of some sort of compressed wood..they have some sort of covering over them that now like damaged if I try to remove it it looks like cork. I thought I could replace the doors to wood but then how do I fix the cabinets to match the doors. UI don't know if this stuff can b painted or what. Please I need some suggestions. Thank you Kathy

q kitchen caninets

Sink door

q kitchen caninets
q kitchen caninets

This is what the better condition of the cabinets look like

• Mogie

My dad put thin veneers over his cabinets. He used contact cement to apply it. Just be aware that that sticks and you don't usually get a second shot. So accurate measurements and application is a must.

• Amy N David Rohrich

I be seen my maintenance guys put glue down in the swelled areas of press wood and put boards on both sides and clamp to straighten out, the rough sand and paint. They’ve even framed out for old farm look and painted alternate color-for rentals...hope that gives you another option

• Jan Clark

This stuff is "manufactured wood." You CAN paint them, which is the easiest and least costly and time consuming way to go. Remove the doors and hardware and use a 160 grit sandpaper to grab what's coming off and smooth it down. Use a low VOC paint (no smell or fumes) with primer in it. If you can't find that, you'll need to prime the surface first with a priming paint. Pick your color or colors (the doors could be a different color from the cabinet) and use a quality brush. Go with a finish for kitchens - satin or semi-gloss. Follow the directions. If you don't choose a paint brand that will take a good scrubbing, then follow the paint with some kind of clear sealer. That way the surface will not be compromised when you're cleaning it.

It's pressed wood (particle board) with a laminate covering. They can be painted if the particle board has not swelled. Otherwise you will need to glue the laminate on.

How to Paint Cabinets

Make sure they are clean and dry. Remove the doors and hardware. Mark the doors and cabinets with tape where they go. Lightly sand the doors and cabinets to remove any gloss and roughen the surface for paint with 220 grit sandpaper or a green Scotch Brite pad.. Use a tack cloth or damp rag to remove dust after sanding. Prime with a stain blocking primer like KILZ. Acrylic or water base paints are low-fume and clean up easily with water. Alkyd or oil-based paints require good ventilation because the paint contains solvents that can irritate your lungs and make you feel sick. Alkyd options require mineral spirits for cleanup, but they provide a hard, durable paint finish. Whichever you use, buy the best-quality paint you can afford for a lasting kitchen cabinet finish. Seal with at least three coats with a water based polyurethane. Use a small foam roller and foam brush for a smooth finish.

• Debra Peyton Smith

Paint with Chalk paint, not chalkboard paint. It requires little prep and covers anything. Can find different brands at home depot and lowes or Ace.

• Dee

Do not paint with Chalk paint, you will have a big mess in the kitchen. You can use Bondo or wood filler to fix the raised parts. Clean them really well with a cleaner degreaser like Krud Kutter. Then rinse well. Get a good bonding / stain blocking primer like Kilz and do 2 light coats of primer. Use a mohair roller or if you can spray paint the doors and boxes. If you have a habitat for humanity in your area look for doors there they will be cheap.

• Jessica VanderVeen

If you want to replace the doors, I would suggest painting the doors, and then also painting the cabinets. Just make sure you do proper prep work - clean, sand and prime

• Pamela

hi , i would use advance paint by benjamin moore , it is about $40. you need to number your doors ,use masking tape and assign each door a number so you know where it goes, also when taking off the hardware ,put each doors hardware in an individual zip lock bag with its doors number on it . This will really help you later on . next prep the doors and cabinets using 2 products made by Krud Kutter , the first use their de greaser then the de glosser . this will not only clean them , but take off the shine so the paint sticks better. no sanding or primer needed . good luck !