Valorie
Valorie
  • Huntington, WV
Asked on Apr 24, 2019

Can canvas awnings be painted?

Courtney |The Kitchen GartenBetsyAlice
+1

I have canvas awnings on my front porch. They are in good shape however beginning to fade. I plan to power wash them however I didn’t know if they could also be painted. I really like having them but would like to freshen them up. Replacing them with new ones are too expensive. Any ideas?

• Mogie

You can paint an outdoor umbrella (I did this last year). I even used cheapo spray paint from Walmart). Unlike wood, canvas is not effective in holding the paint properly. In comparison to other paints, acrylic paint is more durable, and also effective in resisting water. However, you must allow at least 24 hours to the paint to dry completely. Once the paint is dry you can use the awning again.

• Alice

Unlike other awning fabrics, canvas can be replaced without putting much time and effort. However, you can consider painting the canvas awnings to make these stylish without spending a lot of money. Use Acrylic Paint: ... However, you must allow at least 24 hours to the paint to dry completely.

Hi Valorie: Fabric awnings are much more delicate and need to be treated with more care. ... Gently brush a mild detergent over the entire surface of the awnings. For easier reach, use a long-handled pressure washer brush. Don't forget the underside of the awning.

Brush off loose dirt. Hose down. Prepare a cleaning solution of water and mild soap such as Woolite or Dawn dish washing liquid. Use a soft bristle brush to clean. Allow cleaning solution to soak into the fabric. Rinse thoroughly until all soap residue is removed.

Then, let it dry completely, maybe a day or two.

Now, for the painting part:) Unlike wood, canvas is not effective in holding the paint properly. In comparison to other paints, acrylic paint is more durable, and also effective in resisting water. However, you must allow at least 24 hours to the paint to dry completely. Once the paint is dry, you can treat and use the awning again.

Here's a site that tells about painting your awning.

https://www.ehow.com/about_5132400_type-paint-used-canvas-awnings.html

Good luck