Kitzi
Kitzi

How to soundproof new home with builder grade hollow core doors?

Mary MessengerBetsyNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CA
+1

Does anyone have any ideas: all of the doors inside our new build house are 8ft hollow doors, with about an 2” gap at the bottom. The office where my husband (with a very deep booming voice) works has French doors (with no astragal, so even more sound! UGH!), so pretty much the entire house becomes his office for about 12 hours every M-F. Every site I’ve been on shows pretty ugly fixes. The office is right next to the front door so I the way it looks is important. Thank you!

• Kelli L. Milligan

All you can really do is replace with new solid,doors the correct height. Since its the whole house, just stsrt with his doors since that may solve the issue. Most probably will have to be custom if height is not standard. They are quite a bit more exspensive than hollow core but way better and nicer looking.

• If it is his office only, I would seriously consider replacing the doors. Was there an upgrade option when you purchased the house? You can either price out new doors at any door shop or go back to the builder and have them replace. When we built my girlfriends house from the ground up, we considered this issue and on each doorway to a separate room, we used solid doors. The interior, such as on a closet or pantry, we used less expensive doors. Made a world of difference. Since it is only one room, it would be worth the investment. And easily pay for itself in the long run.

Hi Kitzi: Well, any suggestions of filling it with expanding foam should be ignored for a couple of reasons. One being that the foam expands and will deform the door and you will have to replace the door. Another is that hollow core doors are actually not totally hollow, they typically have cardboard glued inside which just serves to stop the panels from warping. The only thing I can think of, besides changing out the doors is to disassemble the doors, remove the cardboard and fill it with those foam panels. Very time consuming and probably not do-able:)

Another, easier fix, would be to sound proof your hubby's office, including doors and walls. To do this, install a solid-core door with vinyl weather stripping and a bottom sweep and threshold. Caulk around duct work and electrical boxes where they penetrate the drywall. Glue a layer of acoustic board and then another layer of drywall over the existing interior walls. I think this is the best fix. Or, move him to the basement or make a man cave in a shed:) Good luck

• Mary Messenger

I replaced all the hollow doors in my last house with solid wood. It was so worth the money. Not just for the sound proofing but the solid doors are so rich looking.