Rjack
Rjack
  • Weatherford, TX
Asked on Jun 24, 2019

How to add texture over old sheetrock?

RjackCheryl WilliamsenAmanda
+4

pulled two layers of wallpaper off.sheetrock installed probably in 1950's.outer layer of sheetrock paper came off.Will texture still adhere to the sheetrock?Then I'll paint.

• Kelli L. Milligan

It should, because usually you do a,skim coat to repair drywall. Think hard about texture. It's hard to repair if ever need to and considered a property devalued treatment. Smooth finish is always considered to be top value.

• Cher @ Designs By Studio C

Hi, Rjack!

Two years ago, when I removed a mirror in my bathroom, the outer layer of the sheetrock, which was vinyl, came with it exposing the kraft liner underneath. I scraped the area smooth with a putty knife, then applied a couple light coats of joint compound to match the surrounding wall. I then primed and painted. It has held up well with no bubbling or peeling. I honestly think texture should still adhere to the sheet rock liner without a problem! I hope this helps!

• Rjack

Very helpful. Thks.

• Amanda

I had the same issue, and did what Cher did. It was a lot of work for me but did work. I had areas where it would bubble up from the moisture. When that happened I would try to pull the paper from those areas off while still wet and put more compound on it. Good Luck!

• Cheryl Williamsen

That brown paper may bleed brown through your skim coating. I would prime it first with a stain blocking priming.

• Rjack

Good idea. Crossed my mind. Just haven't done anything yet. Power out last 3 days due to weather. This is a rental property.

• Rjack

Here are pictures.