How do I paint paneling?

Lisa S.Zard PocleebKathy Gunter Law
+4

How do I paint paneling?

• Kelli L. Milligan

Real wood? Wash down with TSP, sand off sheen, prime with oil based primer, lightly sand smooth, paint with oil based paint.

• Laura Cooper

It really needs to be primed first. I use Kilz. Then paint like any other wall.

• Kathy Gunter Law

I cleaned mine with TSP, primed with Kilz Original, then painted with Behr paint. That was about 20 years ago and it still looks great except one place where my daughter's bed bumped the wall repeatedly when she was a kid and would "run & jump" onto her bed.

• Zard Pocleeb

It depends on the paneling. I have re-painted my entire home and it is all paneling. I was lucky in that it’s an older manufactured home and the paneling has a rough texture, so I was able to just paint over it. Most newer paneling has a smooth texture so as not to have dust cling to it. In this case you’ll need to rough it up before painting it. The fastest, easiest way of doing this is with an electric sander and course sandpaper (60-grit).

• Laura Cooper

I really like painted paneling because there's a little texture to it. Another option is that you can leave a few walls unpainted as accent walls. Or painted a complimentary color.

• Lisa S.

Wash, primer (KIltz) then paint. My brother did this to an older manufactured home. Changed the looks completely. It will give at "kinda" a farm house look....