Asked on Aug 13, 2019

How can I clean smelly basements?

Kathy DeStafinoLinda ThomasLifestyles Homes
+1

• Joy30150932

What kinds of smells are you having in the basement? If it is moldy, then put a fan on and open windows to dry it out. Add a dehumidifier.

• Lifestyles Homes

Mold in basements can be big trouble, therefore, you need to identify if it’s just lack of air movement? Yes, use a dehumidifier! Put a long hose on it and attach it directly to a floor drain so you don’t have to worry about emptying the bucket.

Or if it’s water seeping in to your walls and your floors causing systemic mold in the basement which will be going throughout your whole house sooner or later.

That’s horrible, I’ve been there done that. It put me in the hospital and cost me $7000 to get my health back from mold poisoning, so don’t mess around with that.

How old is your flooring? What is underneath the flooring? For example if you have wall-to-wall carpet in the basement and you have a pad underneath, then that’s a great place for Mold to grow.

Are there pet stains down there? Maybe from a previous owner?

• Linda Thomas

Rid It is an odor absorber. Try that first.

• Kathy DeStafino

Eliminate the source of moisture and dampness.

Place Damp Rid products throughout the space. I prefer the ones that are designed to hang in a closet over the buckets.

Clean everything with either white vinegar or Odo-Ban.

Newspaper, activated charcoal, and baking soda are also good at eliminating odor. However, Odo-Ban is my go to because I love the clean scent and it also disinfects.