Asked on Aug 13, 2019

How can I make DIY kitchen countertops?

The Inspired WorkshopTheHoneycombHomeLifestyles Homes
+2

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi Lisa, here's how one blogger made her kitchen countertops out of wood: https://www.simplymaggie.com/diy-wide-plank-butcher-block-counter-tops

• Cher @ Designs By Studio C

Hi, Lisa!

When i did my kitchen remodel several years ago, I built my own kitchen countertops. I used plywood for the base, 1x2s for the aprons and glued sheets of Formica laminate on them using contact cement. They were super-easy and inexpensive!

Countertops can also be renewed with countertop coatings ( Daich and Giani are two brands I've used, or the tops covered with marbled vinyl by DC-Fix.

I hope this helps and if you have further questions, please let us know!

• Lifestyles Homes

kitchen countertops have to not absorb any food particles at the molecular level.

they need to tolerate serious scrubbing and cleaning chemicals

they need to be somewhat heat resistant

plastic laminate needs to be cut with a router in my experience, but it is cheap for what you get.

• The Inspired Workshop

Hey Lisa! I poured concrete countertops in my kitchen when I recently remodeled! I wrote all about it here! I also recently cut a sheet of plywood down to the size of my vanity and did an epoxy pour on it to create a faux marble countertop...it looks sooooo good! I think it is my favorite way to do a countertop! It is inexpensive and there's no maintenance that comes with it! I haven't wrote the post for it yet, but if you google epoxy countertop, you will see the amazing creations you can make... on top of your existing countertops even! Hope this helps!