Asked on Aug 21, 2019

How do I get rid of film that settles on my dishes in the dishwasher?

Adrienne Carrie Hubbard | Crafty Little GnomePatKathy DeStafino
+4

This strange film suddenly started appearing on my dishes in my dishwasher. I use the jet wash stuff in the cup but nothing seems to help . I find myself having to hand wash most of them after they come from dishwasher. My washer is about 20 years old but it always has run fine. A dishwasher repair person charges a $100 to $150 just to walk in the door in my area. Has anyone out there had similar problems with their washers and found solutions?

Marlene

• Pasa2ps
    Pasa2ps

Run an empty load with a bowl of white vinegar in the washer.

• Zard Pocleeb
    Zard Pocleeb

Could be that the water company has taken something out, or put something new in your water. Might want to give them a call.

• Marlene O'Malley
    Marlene O'Malley

I will try it. Thanks.

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

Try adding a drop of blue Dawn to your dishwasher detergent. You'll be surprised how well it works to get rid of clouds.

• Kathy DeStafino
    Kathy DeStafino

Clean the washer first:

After making sure the dishwasher is free of any food particles, place a cup of white cleaning vinegar in an open dishwasher safe container on the upper rack and run a short hot cycle. The sprinkle baking soda on the bottom of the unit and run another short hot cycle. This will clean, sanitize, and make it sparkle.

Upgrade your detergent.

• Pat
    Pat

kathy G Law.....I would be hesitant to put Dawn in the dishwasher....even a drop. Sounds like a good idea but won't it be too sudsy? I clean mine with vinegar like Kathy DeStafino does.

• Try the more expensive premium washing detergent. It's the only thing that has worked for me. If I use the cheap stuff it leaves a film