Asked on Sep 1, 2019

Can you help me assess if this old bathtub has any value?

CarrollWilliamJohn Biermacher
+5

Trying to determine age and the value of this tub. 61”x30.5”

q how old is this tub
q how old is this tub
q how old is this tub
  • Lifestyles Homes

I believe it’s from the 1930s to 40s.

It’s value is based on what condition the enamel is in and how serviceable the faucet & drain holes are.

This is baked enamel over cast-iron, which is prone to rusting as you can see and those old fixtures get “seized” in their holes and replacing them is a serious hassle.

Since it’s a “standard” 5’ one, not the rare 6’ one, I would say it’s worth $40-50 in the condition it’s in.

If you remove all the rust and work on the chrome bits, and it looks perfect, then double that.

In the large older cities there are architectural salvage stores that have dozens of these for sale.

• Sharon

Visit your local scrap yard or architectural recycler to see what they're going for. I would clean it real good and set up on legs to take good pictures and post on craigslist then

• Cynthia H

It depends a lot on supply and demand in your area. They are great to have unless you have to move them from one place to another, the enamel needs refinishing, etc. I've seen people pay to have one removed. I'd say early 20th century.

• Gabrielle Falk

You can have them re-sprayed by professional bath renovation people. I did that once, but after a short time, the area around the plug hole started to peel back. There were also quite a few 'pin-holes' in the actual tub. Or. What I did after than, was find someone who could install an 'inner' bath - ie a proper bath lining that sits inside the old tub. But then you have the problem of the tap ware. One use you could put it to, would be to dig it into - say - your back-garden, and make a beautiful water/fish pond.

• Johnavallance82

Hi there,

Only to an enthusiast, who would want to pay to have it restored. If you wish you could advertise it on your local free listings or use ebay etc. Someone may wish to display flowers as a garden feature or use as a pond or bog garden, or use outside as a dog bath etc..........

• John Biermacher

I have seen them cut open to make a chaise lounge, https://www.hometalk.com/1241751/clawfoot-tub-to-chaise-lounge

This is on my “someday maybe list”. Where is your location? You may find a Hometalkers who is interest in doing the same.

• Carroll

I would keep this it is a claw foot tub they keep the water in the bath much warmer then the new tubs. They have never gone out of style. You can have it finished professionally or do it yourself [lots of work.].