Asked on Sep 4, 2019

How do I clean vintage chased aluminum?

JaniceLisa S.William
+10

I’m restoring a MCM aluminum piece, that has years of kitchen vapors on it. Soaking it in “Dawn water” is not cutting it. What really cuts that greasy build up? I’m thinking about using acetone.

Lid and footed base.

• Dee

Don't use acetone, you will ruin it. Go to Walmart and in their auto department they sell Purple Power, it is a cleaner degreaser that you can use for many things, diluted or not and it is only $5 a gallon. Works great.

• Gk

Here's some information that might be helpful.

https://www.wikihow.com/Clean-Hammered-Aluminum

• Sharon

I use Dollar Tree Awesome Degreaser and so does our local auto detailer.

• Amanda

A paste made with cream of tartar works wonders on greasy kitchen buildup on all kinds of things like small appliances and range hoods. It's very mild and non-abrasive.

Search the web for a multitude of "recipes", or try this one: https://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/maintenance-and-repair/cleaning/how-to-clean-aluminum

• Dana

I actually put mine into the dishwasher with regular dishwasher powder and was amazed at how shiny the pieces emerged!

• Sabrina

may sound strange but try some WD-40. It may remove it. It does all kinds of sticky stuff. I used it with 000 steel wool to clean the grease from around my cabinet handles. Worked great.

Have you tried toothpaste and a damp cloth or toothbrush. I use it to clean A lot of things I sell on Ebay. I use white toothpaste (not gel) and a damp toothbrush. For large items I use a damp cloth. Also works on silver, copper, brass, gold, porcelain, ceramics, sneakers, plastics, etc. For my sales I needed one product for cleaning everything.

https://www.howtocleanthings.com/how-to-clean-aluminum/

• Lifestyles Homes

That’s on my list of things to pick up. Thanks.

i sell a lot of things too.

This piece when I source the missing pieces will be worth $40-$45 because it’s rare to see the chafing dishes.

• Lisa S.

No acetone. Try sudsy ammonia. Store brand is fine. Mix it with a little water, and soak. Ammonia is the original grease cutter. AND very inexpensive.

• Janice

1. I've had excellent results by making a paste of a small amount of baking soda and juice from a lemon. Just scrub lightly using a soft cloth or your fingers so as not to damage the piece. Then wipe clean with a damp cloth to remove all the mixture, then dry thoroughly with a soft towel.
    • Lifestyles Homes

I see many acid-based ideas like citrus & vinegars.

I’m looking for a grease cutter and then acid-based cleaning should bring back the bling 💫

thanks

• Janice

I understand now what you're looking for. However, in my experience there's a subdued, softer look that is natural to this type of aluminum. Nearly a non-shiny pewter look, so you won't get that with the baking soda paste I recommended. I hope you locate what you want to achieve the bling you want.