Thea
Thea
  • South Africa
Asked on Sep 13, 2019

Is there a way to create a temporary stained glass effect on vases?

Dmholt4391Cher @ Designs By Studio CKate
+5

I would like to temporarily change the colour of my glass vases to look like red stained glass for a function. That is, they must be translucent red, not opaque and afterwards I want to clean them back to normal glass . Cellophane and spray on adhesive is not working. Please help.

• Kate

elmers glue and red acrylic paint. mix to desired red color, paint on. Should come off with hot soapy water. you could try to find red plastic saran wrap - usually around at christmas time and mod podge. also should come off with hot soapy water

• Kate

test it first. elmers glue will fall apart if it gets wet. acrylic paint should not form any kind of bond with glass - fabric is a different story. it may even just peel off.

• Thea

Hopefully it just lasts the duration of a dinner party.😀

• Cher @ Designs By Studio C

Hi, Thea!

Washable Elmer's glue tinted with food coloring may work. Maybe try it on an inexpensive glass vase or candle holder from the dollar store, then wash it to make sure it comes off. I hope this helps!

• Dmholt4391

You may have seen that Elmer's now has colored glue and glittered colors etc. One of these may help you and cut down diy prep time.

• Thea

No, unfortunately for me Elmer’s (the brand) hasn’t reached South Africa yet. Where is globalization when you need it?! 😩Thanks anyway, I think its a brilliant principle though, maybe there’s an angle to coloured glue gun glue.