Asked on Sep 14, 2019

Do I cut perennials in the fall or in the spring?

RedcatcecKmdreamerFiddledd224
+2

I'm always confused when it comes to perennials. Do I cut them down in the fall of spring. Grasses, astilbe, ferns, etc.

• Gk

Hello Lili! It all depends on what perennials you have. Each plant has different needs and it is best to look up each plant for more specific information on if and when to cut them back. This may also differ according to where you live. Here is some information that may help you! You probably will need to look up more!

https://www.thespruce.com/perennial-plants-to-cut-back-in-the-fall-4767363

• Rose

I always wait til first frost then I cut them all down except for the coneflowers cuz the finches love the seeds. I have many types of flowers, peonies, lilies, coneflowers, phlox, clematis, daisies, mums, etc.

• Fiddledd224

I always cut mine down before the first frost if done in the fall or after the last frost in the spring.

• Kmdreamer

Fall

• Redcatcec

I agree with Gk, you will have to look them up and make a notr of which to cut and when, all depends on what youo have growing, each plant is different.