How can I clean built up nicotine off my old dresser?

DeeDebi53William
+8

q please help how can i get badly built up nicotine off my old dresser

It should be an off white

• Dawn L

I had the same issue i used krud kutter it just smells so use in a ventilated place

• Catherine Moore

Sos pads can help. Then paint with a kilz paint specfic to covering oil stains

• Gk

You might try some vinegar, Dawn dish soap and hot water first.It should take away the stain and the nicotine smell. I would mix equal parts of water and vinegar and just a squirt or two of dish soap. Make sure you wipe the area dry after you wipe it down. I recently chalk painted a set of dresser EXACTLY like yours. Be careful with the finish as it is not wood. It is wood covered with some sort of laminate. If you open the drawers or take them out you can see which parts of the dresser are wood and which parts are not. In order to paint this dresser--if you are considering that--you will have to prime first before you could paint due to the material that it is made from. Then you can use chalk paint or an acrylic latex paint which is made for cabinets. The acrylic latex paint would hold up well. I would even consider adding a poly finish to the top for protection.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/clean-nicotine-out-wood-furniture-101767.html

• Michelle

There is a product called Bio Green Clean. You can order on line or possibly through Amazon. I use it diluted on cleaning everything. I cleaned up an old sewing table(oak) that I thought I was going to have to refinish. It removed all the old dirty gunk and afterwards I polished it with a soft cotton cloth. No refinishing necessary

• Deb K

Hi Lisa, you can use a diluted spray nine, wipe entire dresser down, you will have to change the water frequently, and be sure to wear rubber glove

• Gerri Haumschild

just about anything will remove the nicotine. It will roll off. My parents kitchen was yellowed from smoking and it came off easily.

• MaryK

I use TSP powder diluted with water. This is made to use on furniture (and lots of things!!) to remove chemicals etc before painting.

• Dfm

please note- nicotine can be absorbed by bare skin contact- ie nicoderm patches. please use disposable gloves.

Nicotine tends to be oily. You need a degreaser. Krud Kutter or Simple Green degreaser.

• Debi53

I agree with Deb K about the Spray Nine (Home Depot or online). This stuff is amazing. I use it for so many things. It is great at cutting anything greasy. I buy the large container and mix it in a spray bottle myself. You can also just buy the spray already mixed, but I use so it so much that the large container is much more economical. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Spray-Nine-1-Gal-Multi-Purpose-Cleaner-and-Disinfectant-26801/204713723

• Dee

Krud Kutter or TSP will remove the nicotine easily. Use in ventilated area.