Asked 3 days ago

How can I create a smoother transition for different height floors?

Johnavallance82Carole ClossLaura Cooper
+3

Kitchen floor is 3/4 inch higher than living room, is there any way to fix the floor joining, the wood strip does not help.

• Ken Erickson

The only way to fix the height difference is to remove the high or add to the low. A long transition strip my help prevent tripping hazard.

• Carole Closs

Thank You

• Flipturn

The strip that joins different floorings to prevent tripping is called a transition piece. If you can not find one that fits the profile to match the different heights of your floorings, it is possible to have custom fitted transition pieces built. However they can be expensive.

• Laura Cooper

I agree with Flipturn. The top left picture in Flipturns post is the transition profile you need, however 3/4 in is a very deep transition. Using the same idea, you could router out more material from the back of the transition to allow it to fit better in your space.

• Carole Closs

Thank you, the transition strip look to be the best way to fix the problem.

• Johnavallance82
    2 minutes ago

Hello Carole,

Add a piece of timber as a door threshold between the two rooms. That way you step over the threshold.