Asked on Jan 4, 2020

How do I clean corrosion off a hammered copper sink?

KmdreamerSharonJohnavallance82
+6

Clean off green corrosion off of a copper hammered sink?

Hi Tony: Here are a couple of things you can try:

Pour salt on the green area and rub with a moist cloth until the green disappears.

Here are a couple of sites that may help:

https://www.plumbingsupply.com/best-ways-to-care-for-copper-sinks.html

https://m.wikihow.com/Clean-Copper-Sinks

Good luck

• Dee

You can clean this with salt and white vinegar. Or as crazy as it seems, you can clean with Ketchup and salt. Just let sit a few minutes and then clean with a non abrasive cloth

• Lifestyles Homes

After you clean it, think about re-sealing it, as copper is going to turn green, naturally.

If you’re ok with cleaning off the oxidization on a regular basis, then I would towel dry it after use.

Without researching which sealant you use, I would look for something that’s made to tolerate constant exposure to water.

• Deb K

Hi Tony, The green spots can be removed just like any other patina that develops on copper. Store bought copper cleaner, vinegar, or even lemon juice will remove the patina. Keep in mind that by removing the patina you are restoring the metal back to its original state, which is like a bright shiny new penny.J

• Redcatcec

The green can be safely removed with any of the above suggestions, after you do that, it would be in your best interest to seal the sink or to hand dry it after each use...cleaning off any green as it appears.

• Johnavallance82

Hello there,

The green you see is not corrosion, but oxidisation. You could use something like Barkeepers Friend or even Coke Cola to remove i, but it will keep coming back unless the copper is sealed in some way to prevent it from returning!

• Sharon

I use lemon juice and kosher salt with a 3M pad, dry the sink and then I apply paste wax abd buff with a soft cloth.

• Kmdreamer

Use brasso liquid cleaner it works great on copper eBay sells it