Asked on Jan 6, 2020

Can I dry brush textured wallpaper?

KmdreamerSharonLilith Disdain
+5

Hey,

I am decorating my office and it has a stripy textured wallpaper. I was thinking of dry brushing it with a darker colour. Is it possible to only paint on the raised parts somehow? May thanks in advance :)

• Johnavallance82

Hello Lilith,

If it is not a Vinyl wallpaper then yes, Dry brush or lightly with sponge or a cloth. Do try the methods on a spare piece of wallpaper first. Mind you, if you press too hard, you could always continue in the same manner with the rest of the walls.

Good luck!

• Redcatcec

You probably can, I would locate some similar wallpaper and practice as John described. It seems like a lot of technique and patience.

We stayed at a motel last week and they had this on some of the accent walls-dark turquoise-and it looked really nice and durable.

• Fiddledd224

Yes. Make sure the brush is very dry and DAB, not drag the brush.

• Recreated Designs

Hi Lilith. You can for sure. I would use a new flat brush (or one that there are no loose bristles) and use the side of the brush. You can add your paint (very little) and then run the side over the paper. This will keep the paint only on the raised part. Good luck.

• Lifestyles Homes

Yes. And a dry roller can also be used.

• Lilith Disdain

Thank you everyone , I shall be posting a picture if it goes well :)

• Sharon

I would use painters tape to keep it where you want the dry-brushing, but remember you always take the chance when painting wallpaper that it will bubble. Try poking any bubbles with a pin if they arise to allow air to escape and run a dry roller over it.

• Kmdreamer

Yes I have done it and it comes good you can’t tell just paint we’re you want another color