Asked on Jan 15, 2020

How can I prevent my refrigerator from having strong odors?

Cheryl ASharonFiddledd224
+4

Have emptied Frig. and Freezer, pulled out from wall. Sweeped moped still an odor. Have a lot of fish, all unopened, sealed etc. Baking Soda has not helped. Please any other suggestions???

• Kathy Gunter Law

Wipe down with hydrogen peroxide to clean, disinfect, and help deodorize. If you are relying in original packaging, it is insufficient to contain odors. Additionally pack items to make sure they are sealed. You are probably smelling from current items rather than old lingering smells.

• Pamela

I would pull everything out of the freezer , wipe it down . Then I would put all the fish in a second freezer Ziploc bag before placing it back in the freezer . Then put fresh baking soda , coffee , or cat litter in a small container back in the freezer and change it out each week . Good luck !!!

• Tinyshoes

Julie....I use an open box of soda or a cute little plastic onion I received as a gift years ago filled with soda with holes in top!

• Fiddledd224

Wipe everything down with lemon juice. Your fridge should smell wonderful for days. The acid in the juice kills bacteria.

• Sharon

In addition to the baking soda, I have opened the frig and used the Frebreeze deodorizing spray.... and its worked everytime.

• Cheryl A

Julie

I have a method that is excellent. It even removes dead fish odor from coolers! Take a paper towel and roll into a ball, add 2 drops of vanilla extract (imitation works fine) and leave in fridge and one in freeze too for several hours. The vanilla smells goes away and takes all the odor with it. If it is really bad you could add a couple of the balls with vanilla in the fridge - I have used it for dead fish smells, when my dog dug up a dead animal, etc.