Asked on Jan 27, 2020

How can I harness solar power from my kitchen window?

EllieBecky at Flipping the FlipSharon
+7

I live in a condo so cannot do anything to the outside but would lone to catch solar from inside Kitchen window. Is this possible?

• Hi Miriam, good question. I haven't seen anything that would allow for catching good amounts of solar energy from inside. Many new windows contain argon gas or something that keeps the suns rays from penetrating inside, cutting down on solar energy that could be harnessed. If you're a renter, the best bet may be to try and get your landlord on board with using solar energy and having panels installed. Hope this helps!

• Scarlet Paolicchi

What Courtney said is pretty much true. There are a few indoor panels but they won't produce that much energy. See below for more info.

"For indoor, artificial light environments, PowerFilm's Indoor Light Series Electronic Component Solar Panels are well suited for low power applications ranging from 10uW to 10mW. Many wireless sensors, small motors and actuators, and low power LEDs fall in this range." https://www.powerfilmsolar.com/about-us/the-horizon-blog/2018/08/10/outdoor-vs-indoor-solar-the-key-differences

• Laura Cooper

Goal 0 has personal panels that work for this'll purpose. I have some.

• Sharon

What are you planning on using the power for?

• Beth
  • Em

A home close to me has over 50 solar panels on their roof to provide electricity. So a window solar panel is not likely to produce enough to do anything with. Look up articles on the internet to understand what solar panels can and cannot do. This is why the panels are on roof tops. The sun only shines on your window for a short period of time each day where a rooftop panels gets the sun all day.

• Kmdreamer

You could buy a solar kit try eBay I have seen them on there it depends what you want to do with the energy

• I imagine it depends on what you plan to do with it or what you plan to power, but I've seen solar chargers that stick to windows on Amazon.

• Ellie

We bought the DIY Home Energy System when it was $99.97. Currently they have it on sale for a 1-time payment of simply $47. The system has actually enabled us to lower our energy bills significantly and become much more energy independent.

This is the best-value course you’re going to find. It’s packed-full of the guide you require to build a D.I.Y home energy project.

It is very easy to follow because it has step-by-step videos and guides for each step of the building process. And we can honestly say that if you know how to use a screwdriver to tighten up a screw; you can use their system to produce free power at your home.

This is our favorite course on this topic. We’re yet to find anything that really compares, and their “Iron Clad – 60 Day, 100% Satisfaction, Money Back Guarantee” means you’ve really got nothing to lose by trying it.

Here's a link to their website :)