Asked on Feb 4, 2020

How do I build a special table for my Christmas village?

VimarhonorNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CAGk
+5

I have accumulated many more village pieces and I would like to build a special platform for my display this year. How do I get started? I am an amateur at building things from scratch.

• I've seen some pretty ones made using a stepladder as a base, then laying boards across the steps for the village pieces....minimal construction needed!

• Scarlet Paolicchi
    Scarlet Paolicchi

Try this link for browsing what type you like https://www.hometalk.com/search/all?filter=Christmas%20village

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

You can purchase legs that only have to be screwed into the "table". Then brace the corners. You could look at some tables and deconstruct them in your mind.

If you have an idea of what you want the table(s) to look like, post a sketch and you can get great tips.

Also, you might want to hit up some thrift stores, yard sales, & marketplace. You could find something to fit your needs or a base for the finished product.

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Hello do you keep your displays year-round? Or is it just a seasonal display. I wonder if a folding table could be an option if it’s just a seasonal display. Either a square card table or a longer banquet-table could potentially be an option. Technically a painted wooden top cap might be placed on top of the folding table for the best presentation. The folding table would offer the best space solving storage solution.

• Gk
    Gk

Here's one that I think could look spectacular!

https://www.budget101.com/community/topic/myo-christmas-village-tree

• My brother and SIL have a huge display that they assemble the week before Thanksgiving. If it is seasonal only, here is what they do: 4 to 6 saw horses and a couple sheets of 4x 8 plywood. My brother painted the display side white and installed brackets on the underside to keep them in place. He removes for storage. My SIL made a skirt that attaches with Velcro to the table - similar to what you might have at a catered party. Hides the saw horses and is storage for all the boxes. Then they set up the village. First the train gets placed, then the batting "snow," then the houses, shops and decor pieces. Quite fetching as they have set up close to an outlet to add both electric and battery powered lights at night. When taking down, everything stores neatly in a section of their attic. Might be something to consider.

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Hello. If it were my display I would consider using a removable wood top crafted to my needs and a folding table base that would collapse. In my situation there’s a lack of storage and in this sort of situation would allow for vertical storage. I am not sure if this is a consideration that for your storage availability.