How should I fasten pieces of wood to the joists to hang pullup bar?

BetsyEmKmdreamer
+9

Hello, I originally nailed in pipe hangers to the joists in order to hang a pull-up bar (see first picture below), but I inquired on here about its safety and was convinced that I need a better solution (not to mention that I put some small cracks in the joists when I did the nailing). As a result, I am now planning on using two pieces of 2x6 wood, with a hole cut in each, instead of the pipe hangers to support the pull-up bar (see second picture for an example of what I want to do). My question is, how should I fasten these two pieces of 2x6 wood to the joists? I have heard that bolts might be best. Since I have "double" joists in both spots where I will be fastening the 2x6s though (i.e. two joists side by side, which you can see in the first picture), and won't be able to use a nut on the other side of the joists to secure the bolt because the two joists together are too thick, I am wondering if bolts are the best solution or if I should just use screws instead. How should I fasten the pieces of 2x6 wood to the joists in a secure way that won't damage the joists?

Any input is greatly appreciated,

Tim

Those are use to hold pipes and ductwork. Safe working load is 46 pounds. They also aren't stiff enough and will flex. You would need to nut an bolt anything you use. Nails would sheer from human weight. You could use wood (2x6) with a hole removed from the center to accommodate the diameter of the bar and bolt it through the floor joist as. If the bar is too long and flexes that can put stress on the joists.

• Tim

Thanks for your input, William. The bar is 5 feet long (60 inches) and quite sturdy, so I don't see how it would "flex." I hope it doesn't put any stress on the joists though.

• K. Rupp

If you use 3/8 inch x 4 inch lag bolts (large heavy duty screw). You should only need 2 screws on each side. Screw them in so the screws are set up diagonally.

• Yes, use bolts and you can get them long enough to go through. Bolts come in various lengths so you should be able to find the right size.

• Ken Erickson

Get bolt long enough to go through the wood and have enough thread left to add the nut.

• Dee

You do not want anyone to get hurt so definitely use long bolts so that the bar will not bend or crack the wood it is attached to.

• Tim

Thanks for your replies everyone. I guess I should look for bolts that are long enough to go through three pieces of wood (i.e. the 2x6 and the double joist), while still having enough thread on it to secure the nut at the end.

• Deb K

Hi Tim, this guy nailed it! Hope this helps you out,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99WTincDmmw

• Cynthia H

Hi! I hope this video helps:

https://youtu.be/99WTincDmmw

• Kmdreamer

I would hang 2 2 by 4 s and drill holes in them to hang the pole and run the pole through the wood hanging down long ways

• Em

You can use allthread and put a nut on each end.

Hi Tim: I gave my son a weight bench and wanted to be sure that he wouldn't hurt himself if he used the weights when I wasn't home. What I did was to get a metal pipe that was bigger than the the chain, drilled a hole in the rafter boards and stuck a length of the pipe through the hole so that it stuck out about a 1/2 inch on each side. This way, the chain wouldn't eat through the wood and I could adjust the chain so that the weights came down about 4 inches from my son's neck, should he lose control when no one was there to spot him. Which was often :( Also, don't nail the boards to the rafters. Use nuts and bolts and drill holes for them, at least 3. I'd still use the length of pipe in the boards you intend to use to attach your pull up bar to so as to eliminate the bar eating into the wood and put less strain on the wood. Good luck.