Asked on Aug 29, 2014

Bottle Tree

GillianDonna ByramJeanette S

Has anyone seen a bottle tree where the bottles are tied together and hung (upright) from a tree branch? I love the ones that the bottles are upside down on pegs, but saw a reference to the bottles suspended in the tree. However, I couldn't find any other info. How do you keep them from breaking in a storm?
Thank you for any info or ideas!
Barb
  • Jeanette S
    Jeanette S

I have a gazing ball in my garden but am not keen on a lot of glass in the yard. We have small limbs and sticks from a lot of trees and we too have awful storms. Someone commented the other day...."How do you keep the critters from nesting in those bottles"?

• Donna Byram
    Donna Byram

Most of the ones I have seen with bottles hanging from tree limbs are spaced to where they don't clang against one another if they wind blows them around. The heavier the glass bottle, the least likely it would break. I would cork them or keep the lid on to keep water from filling the bottle and possibly freezing in the winter.

• Barb
      Barb

I hadn't thought of keeping the lids on.... Duh! Thanks for the suggestion?

• Gillian
    Gillian

I love bottle trees. Not sure I can get my uber conservative husband on board but the idea is that they ward off evil spirits. Never thought of suspending them. That would be neat! Think if all the fun you would have drinking all the wine in the colorful bottles! Post pictures! Every bottle tree that I have seen has been a metal tree (or iron) with the bottles on it. Still fun!