Vertical Shiplap Accent Wall

$50

Vertical shiplap is so popular right now! A little more modern than regular horizontal shiplap, it can totally transform a space and in some cases add some height by drawing your eye up. After seeing so many inspiring photos online, I decided it was time to add some to my own home. Here's what you need for this simple but impactful home project.

Here is our dining room wall before. Since I stole the round mirror to use in the remodeled half bath, the wall was looking bare and in desperate need of some wow factor. I decided vertical shiplap with a picture ledge to display decor was definitely the way to go.

I purchased three of these utility panels at Lowe's for $15 each. Figure out how tall you want your shiplap. Measure your wall. The rule of thumb when adding wainscoting is to divide your wall into thirds. Since I wanted it pretty tall, I went about 2/3 up the wall with my shiplap. I also removed my baseboards but this is optional.

I decided I wanted wide shiplap so I ripped the panels down to 8" wide. These panels are pretty floppy so you can have someone help you hold them or have a table beside you to help support the panel.

Hang the picture ledge board first. I marked the studs with my stud finder then had someone help me hold the board in place while I marked where the pocket holes needed to go. Drill the pocket holes then attach with pocket hole screws into the studs in the wall.

Mark the center of your wall and begin in the middle and work your way out. I attached the boards using Liquid Nails as well as a nail gun. I used a nickel for the spacing between the boards and used a speed square along the way to make sure the boards stayed even. If you have any spots that aren't even you can always fill in gaps and cracks with caulk.

Continue attaching the boards until you get to each end. Each end board may have to be ripped down a bit to fit.

Fill all nail holes and then sand smooth. I primed the boards before painting. I also stained the picture ledge before painting. I used Minwax Early American. The shiplap paint color is Mountain Road by Sherwin-Williams.

All that is left to do now is decorate your picture ledge! I did a combo of old and new. I'm going for the boho farmhouse vibe these days.

I'm so happy with how this turned out! It was a quick project and it really makes a statement in our dining room!

For more details about this project, click here.

31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen

• Peggie Beck Dennehy

What did you nail the boards into? Studs are 16-18” apart but your boards are only 8”. Did you nail into Sheetrock and depend on the glue to hold it up?

• Build It Thrifty

I used the nail gun and the glue. The boards are very lightweight so they will stay in place. I shot my nails in at an angle also. It did take quite a few for each board. I placed the nails on the outsides of the boards not the center.

• Denise Rapp Smith

Is there a lip on the picture ledge?

• Build It Thrifty

Oh, that's an awesome idea! If I had a router I totally would have done that! I've also seen others create the same effect on a table saw, but I haven't been brave enough to try that yet. LOL

• Helene234

I like your console table in the before, did you make it, if so where did you get the supports ?

thanks,