Plants Growing Through the Ashes

Earlene PaigeJan ClarkDee
+4

I was burning branches outside when I found these sprouting up in the mist. Don't know the name of it but I saved them and put them in water because I was able to dig the roots up. My question is should I cut it down so it can root properly?

Another project

Saving plants and growing roots

• Elycia Callan Bolcar

It’s a snake plant. They grow big and the most low maintenance plant. You can put in soil or simply put the stem in water. Both work. I have so many of these they don’t require lots of light . they work anywhere in the house. When they get bigger they split very easily! I share with friends. Good luck

• Oliva

These look nothing like snake plant leaves. Snake plant leaves do not droop, unless theyve been seriously overwatered..

You'll find many picture examples, online.

Hi Earlene. This looks like Lily of the Valley to me. They are quite hardy, and if you have roots, just put them in soil and they should grow. They are beautiful, but poisonous if eaten. They like the shade, very fragrant and invasive. Here's a site about them:

https://www.gardendesign.com/flowers/lily-of-the-valley.html

Good luck

• Maura White

Hard to tell for me if it is Lily of the Valley - but if it is, you will LOVE the fragrance those little flowers give off in early spring!! Replant and find out!

• Dee

looks very similar to Canna to me

• Jan Clark

Don't know whereabouts you live, but these do look like a Canna to me, too. They root with corms (looks like a squished, tiny sweet potato), and can take a lot of abuse. Check them out on the internet to see if that's what you've got - and if you want to keep them. Mine will grow up to 5 feet. They are mostly foliage but do have cute flowers.

• Earlene Paige

I live in Georgia. As I stated, I found them in an area where we burn sticks and grass trimmings. They were growing in the mist of the debris.