Stephanie C
Stephanie C
  • Deer Park, TX

Can someone identify this plant for me?

Mike CareyAnzengStaci
+16

It's a small bush with light green leaves - kinda of leggy and at the end of each branch is a small cluster of lavender flowers.  This I know that it is not a plumaria bush.
It's a small bush with light green leaves - kinda of leggy and at the end of each branch is a small cluster of lavender flowers. This I know that it is not a plumaria bush.
This is the bush in full.  It's over 2 years old.
This is the bush in full. It's over 2 years old.

I can't really make out the flowers that well, but it looks like plumbago to me.

• Becky H

Question: In photo 2 - do those little orbs (drooping below the one bloom) appear before, or after, the blooms? How long have you had this plant?

• Stephanie C

The little orbs appear before the flowering blooms. I have had this plant for 2 years and this is the first time for it to bloom. I do know that it is not a plumbago.

• Lou B

Looks like a Duranta Repens so me.....common name Golden Dewdrop.. After the flowers drop, does it then have golden berries at the end of branches. There are several different types of Duranta.

• Pam

Yes, I have 3 and it does make golden berries. I planted them in large pots last year and they didn't make any nflowers until we started having rain showers everyday. Now mine are beautiful. I can't remember the name, but it's the same as in the above photo. One has light purple flowers and tge other 2 are light and dsrk purple like above.

• Pam

It's duranta erecta, golden dewdrop.

• Stephanie C

Possibly is. Although the blooms are not within the stem but just on the end of each stem.

• Becky H

Ah Lou B...............that's where I was going w/my questions. It looks like a Golden Dew Drop to me too. The blooms are at the end of the stem, form little round seed pods that turn golden.

Oops! But put me in the Duranta camp now.

• Vivian S

What a perfectly charming little bush. I assume it is for more tropical zones since I've seen nothing like it before.

• Stephanie C

I believe it is a golden dew drop - Duranta erecta. Yes that is it. Thank you all!

• Stephanie C

Resolved - Thank you!

• The duranta is a beautiful plant, and I love it because it doesn't require a lot of fuss. I have one that is 6 ft tall in San Antonio which recently put out the golden seed pods.

• Barbara Valenti

I actually thought it looked like a Mexican Heather? Go figure...

• Nancy Gleich

It's a toad lily.

• Nancy Gleich

No it's not.

• Staci

It is a duranta repens or duranta erecta, commonly known as skyflower, pigeonberry (because of the fruit) or golden dewdrop. Varieties vary having white flowers or light purple (geisha girl) to a deep purple (sapphire showers).

• Anzeng

Durantas comes in 3 varieties here. One with the dark green leaves that bears either purple or white flowers. The other has an almost apple green leaves with purple flowers. The 3rd is with a variegated (with white rimed leaves), bears purple flowers.

• Mike Carey

I believe it a Lavender Shrub. I just bought one also. Can't find the tag. Going to ask the nursery where I bought it in Michigan, Massab Acres.