Asked on Sep 19, 2014

Is there anything I can do with these old wash bins and pots?

GarrettChristina LieuranceFlora Parkhurst
+42

I surely would appreciate any suggestions on what I could possibly do with these old washing bins and pots, if anything. Thank you!
  • Linda Hopper
    Linda Hopper

Give them to me....LOL! Those are great! I love enamelware! I have a few that I have hanging on the wall above my washer and dryer. They just make me happy to see them.

• Hannah V
    Hannah V

Planters!

• Desiree
    Desiree

I second the planters idea! you could do an herb garden to keep with the kitchen theme.

• Chris aka monkey
    Chris aka monkey

@Amy planters so many options succulents are easy,so are herbs as desiree said you don't have to plant them all just plant let say one big one and stack the rest so they don't take up a ton of room...i love all of them xx

• JD McCulley
    JD McCulley

give them to me they would finish the set I have been collecting.

• Lorraine McCullough
    Lorraine McCullough

Paint them in shades of silver, black, gold and white, and make a three tier cupcake, cake or serving holder add some bling either use them or ive them as gifts!

• Pamela
    Pamela

My husband & I make wind chimes out of the smaller ones. The larger pans I would use to plant herbs in...you could stack them...

• Amy
    Amy

Thank you all for your ideas, thinking I'll go with planters and I washtub hung in my laundry room. I've been going through my husbands shed, much to his dislike but I'm finding so many hidden treasures and I need some help! I just came across Hometalk the other day and I love it, mainly because you can ask questions and get so many helpful answers, you can bet I'll be asking alot more! Thanks again everyone, you've been most helpful, have a wonderful weekend!

• Linda T
      Linda T

Forgot to mention. Though it's 'Gnomesview', the common brown toads come to catch mosquitoes in the evening, sitting on the stones next to the water, well camoflaged as they are the same colour. Very cute and sort of 'tame'.

• Garrett
    Garrett

I grew up with these items.

• Robin Norris
    Robin Norris

My first thought was using them to make a vintage looking water feature for your patio, going from the small to larger and then largest with one of the water pumps you buy at the hardware store. You have them spilling into each other, and other used as planters around the base.

• Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co.
    Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co.

They do make really great planters and miniature gardens. And the red is especially pretty filled with greens and winter décor!

• Lee Cunningham Green
    Lee Cunningham Green

I love them as well, I would make chimes with them also, I would even incorporate the bigger ones It would be ridiculously large but would make me very happy when I saw it dancing in the garden.

• Sherry
    Sherry

you can turn the largest one into a sink. I have seen them they are so nice. Light fixtures comes to mind but also a fountain. Good luck!!!

• Mary Tobey
    Mary Tobey

You could make a small fountain for your garden

• Carole
    Carole

Link together to make a rain chain, smallest at top and bigger as they go down the chain. You would need to make a hole through the bottom of each to thread the chain through. If you use them as planters you will need to drill a hole in each for drainage or your plants will flood in heavy rains and could rot and die. Especially succulents need very good drainage or they tend to rot and die.

• Desirae Cardenas
    Desirae Cardenas

I have seen people make small water fountains with them

• Barbara
    Barbara

A wind chime would be great

• AvonelleRed
    AvonelleRed

I love enamelware. It's collectible, so if you don't end up repurposing it, you could always sell it to someone who is a collector. I don't collect it myself, but it's lovely.

• Joedean Small
    Joedean Small

put them in your kitchen,i would love to have them to decorate wth.

• Amy
    Amy

Killer suggestions everybody, I am so excited about all the possibilites that I'll have to find more pans, lol!

• Linda Hopper
    Linda Hopper

I use one of my dishpans as a scrap bowl while I'm cooking. It makes it handy when I carry the scraps to my goats...I tried the compost thing but my goats love kitchen scraps...the vegetable scraps, not cooked items.

• Jeanette S
    Jeanette S

I agree with Linda Hooper, use them. Use one of the large pans in your sink with warm soapy water in it as you cook for wipe up. (You can purchase a sink protector at Walmart for $1.97! I just bought 2 for my new sink) and use the second one as a spice holder...I just bought a small red plastic dishpan to sit on my island because I am tired of digging for the spices I use so often! I would LOVE one of these pans! That taller little pot in the back would make a great spoon/utensil holder! Hang the 3 small ones with handles on hooks nearby to use if you need that extra water at the stove! That small one in front would be great to hold clips for closing up chips and other opened packets. (Hubs bought me different sizes of Acco black metal clips from the office supply store that are WONDERFUL..they are strong, easy to store, cheap and wash up quickly...AND THEY NEVER BREAK!)

q old wash bins pots repurposing ideas, repurposing upcycling, Notice clips in canister in pan in back right corner of photo I am going to have a larger top put on my island so I can use it with my spices etc handy Love these clipsq old wash bins pots repurposing ideas, repurposing upcycling, This is flexible I can move it if I want to use the disposal I got mine to avoid scratches and damage from hot stuff Love them 1 97 at WalMart
  • Barbara P
    Barbara P

I agree....use them and the older stuff Now!!! So many ideas.....water project, windchimes ,etct; THanks for getting my brain working!!!

• Amy
    Amy

Funny you say that, I have goats!

• SusanC
    SusanC

I hang mine on my kitchen wall as decorations

• Marion Nesbitt
    Marion Nesbitt

Think drilling holes would destroy them. I like the idea of actually using them in the kitchen. You could hang the ones with handles to display them or use them for cooking.

• Rebecca Corley Bailey
    Rebecca Corley Bailey

The one with the handles makes a great utensil holder in your kitchen!

• Lynette Tate
    Lynette Tate

In my area this enamelware is cherished as a collectible. I have mine hanging on a pot rack in my kitchen. Less desirable pieces would be great for some of the projects mentioned in others comments.

• Elizabeth
    Elizabeth

We use an old pot for water for the feral cats that we feed. B/f we got a bird bath we also used a large frying pan for water near the bird feeder. The larger ones--w/out handles--could be used to hold rolled towels in a bathroom (on the floor); the deep one could be used to hold facecloths & soaps on a vanity/sink area for guests or for the family.

• Sharon Bryars
    Sharon Bryars

Plaint a green indoor plant in it or plant herbs you can use for cooking.

• Judith
    Judith

make a water fountain out of some of them

• Joan Fuchs
    Joan Fuchs

You can use them to plant flowers in your yard for a nice arrangement. Make a birdbath out of the larger one. Hang them on a kitchen wall or even outside on the house or garage.

• 562395
    562395

The small round pot in the bigger pot. Fill both with some soil and plant some succulents. Would make a great centre piece.

• Ruheena
    Ruheena

If you can spray paint them then the large round ones can be used for planting herbs. The ones with handles can be hung as decorations. The small round ones can be used to store small things or trinket stuff. The large round ones can also be used to soak and wash small items that cannot be washed in a machine. God luck. U.K.

• Flora Parkhurst
    Flora Parkhurst

Flora, SpringfieldTN. Best idea........sell the lot to me!!! I USE USE USE my collection anytime I need to carry food....and in the south, as you know, we are constantly feeding folks. even if the pots have chipped enamel, often a piece of foil in the bottom & up the sides will cover the chips & food travels well when you add the lid and tie it up w/ a vintage dish towel, like I remember my mom & grandmother doing at family reunions. I take food to church pot lucks, funeral home, sick neighbor.......the large dishpans are great to use for canning, making pickles, boiling jars & lids on the stove etc. Also the large pans are great for icing down drinks at a cook out. Or fill with ice and set large bowl of potato salad, deviled eggs or fruit for cook out or potluck. Oh by the way, did I say I'd LOVE to purchase these from you? I am your neighbor in Springfield, TN, less than 50 miles from Lebanon. Call me. 6one59four8four6five7.

• Amy
      Amy

@@Flora Parkhurst, I sure do appreciate your helpful ideas but I just can't part with them at this time. I'm sorry neighbor but I've decided to hang on to them the way they are so I can use them when we buy a farm and I finally get my farmhouse kitchen! You my friend will be greatly rewarded in heaven for all of your wonderfully good deeds!

• Christina Lieurance
    Christina Lieurance

I tell you if you are ever interested in selling shoot me a price.

• Garrett
    Garrett

When I was young at my GrandParent's There was the bucket of for water, a wash basin, water dipper, dishwashing pan, and cookware. I would love the pots for the memories. But thank you for those memories, and never give yours up. garrett