Vicki T
Vicki T
  • Casper, WY

Under bed storage system

Shay McCannIrma De AndinoPaula
+60

I saw this under bed storage idea on pinterest. When I click the image to get more info nothing happens. I am trying to find out what I would use in order to lift the mattress. Where would I purchase such a mechanism? Hoping someone out there has the solution for me.
this is the photo I saw on pinterest.
this is the photo I saw on pinterest.
  • Becky H

You know...........that might be handy for waking the teenager and getting them moving in the mornings. 8-)

• Sharron W

@Becky LOL! This is a great idea...but I already have storage under mine...

• Sharron W

Whoa these are Pricier than I ever would have thought!

• Heck I could have used this when I was young to hide my girlfriends from my parents. Your correct Sharron, the kits are expensive. But considering what space costs these days, it really is not to bad when you think about what your gaining.

• Z

I did some research and couldn't find a source for "Gas Strut Bed Brackets / Bed Hinge" anywhere other than in the UK. There has to be somewhere here that sells them I would think. One place did have international delivery, but I can't find a US Dollar price. http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts/bed-hinge-mechanism

• My first post Becky has them in AZ and Washington. in case you missed it.

• Sharron W

@Woodbridge LOL, HaHaHa "used this when I was young to hide my girlfriends from my parents." What self respecting girl would hide under a bed....Uh never mind...I DID say self respecting didn't I....LOL

• Z

Thanks WE. I thought that was just for the whole bed, but in looking again I see you can order just the hardware kit for $149.95 plus shipping (only $15.20 to NE). Not sure how much you'd save once you added the lumber needed, but I bet it would certainly be worth it if you have the skills and someone to help put it together.

• Hometipster.com

That's a great idea! What a great way to create storage space. I've actually seen staircases where the treads are draws that pull out for storage, which I thought was really neat.

• Z

I've seen that too HT. I've been thinking about this since I saw it and the more I think about it the more I think I'd rather have "drawers" that I can slide out to store things in under the bed. Much easier than lifting the whole bed. We have plenty of room to pull them out so no worries there. I have four of the under the bed on wheels containers and they are working for what I need now so I'll stick with them until we have the time to build our new beds.

• Carol S

Go the an automative store - I think hydraulic hood pistons could be retrofitted -- Hey - you know you may even find them at a junk yard - cheap! For safety sake put 2 hood support rods while you are at it.

• Z

Carol, that's the way I originally started my search for them thinking of the hatch back Pinto I had in my youth.

• The issue with using those pistons is they do not offer enough push power to lift and hold something such as a bed and support frame. You would need several of them to work. While they may hold up a 150 pound hatch back door you have not only additional weight to think about with the bed and all, but also the length of the bed applying more weight over a larger area.

• Penny

@Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com Some vehicle hoods have no rams but lift & have a support arm that locks into a catch in the hood. That might work with your idea for this.

• Vicki T

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and links. I haven't decided if this is the way I will go yet but I thought it was an interesting option. I didn't consider the storage drawer idea until Becky mentioned them. I may be able to have someone build me the platform for the bed and do the drawers to fit gaining just as much storage as the bed in the picture. I had never seen that type of bed before. As for going to the auto store or junk yard for the pistons I don't think it would be such a good idea. My last two vehicles had both hood pistons wear out and become useless a few years into owning them and I would worry they would wear out on the bed also.

• Z

Vicki you might like this plan for a bed with storage drawers by Ana White. It could be easily altered to have the drawers go either all the way through or to the middle. Be sure to scroll down... http://ana-white.com/2011/09/farmhouse-storage-bed-storage-drawers

• Lea6941

what a wonderful idea!

q under bed storage system, bedroom ideas, painted furniture
  • Danielle B

Check out the Murphy beds!

• Jeanette S

I saw a platform bed built on one of those TV shows where the bed was sectioned off and baskets that pulled out on both sides in a couple of sections. A couple of sections were left open all the way through for storage of things like surfboards or skis! I thought this was fantastic for all the gear some teen agers have! You could actually build the bed high enough to make rather larger storage bins on wheels to fit.

• You can check camper dealerships/parts. The beds in the travel trailers are like this. We have one is ours and it is a lot of storage underneath.

• KMS Woodworks

http://www.alibaba.com/product-tp/117483891/Promo_Gas_Lift_Storage_Bed.html I set up our guest room bed with a simple 2 x 4 frame that is tall enough to accommodate the rubbermaid storage bins we use for our camping gear..they simply slide in or out. The frame is hidden by a bed skirt.

• JANIS S

Great idea I want to do it.

• Colleen Schake

they also have these beds on wayfair

• Susan E

This is a bed used in RV's. Try an RV web site.

• Kay Ellen Tomlinson

Try these guys. it is the same sort of thing as the Ikea storage bed. http://www.selbywallbedsystems.com/Blank.html

• IamDeirdre

I did a reverse image search and found others were wondering the same thing. Try here: http://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/1d8699/any_idea_how_i_could_make_this_bed/

• Sheila

If you want to build your own the mechanism is sold at Rockler.com. It is a woodworkers hardware site. If you want to buy one Amazon.com carries them. I had one under a queen bed in an Rv. It is very easy to lift.

• Sheila

Best part is since the platform goes to the floor no dust gets under the bed.😍

• Marg Caputo

You could also try auto stores. Those hydrolic arms lift car trunks.

• Nance Freeman

These kind of beds are in 5th Wheel travel trailers. My sister has a 5th Wheels and under her bed it stores lots of things A camper sales place may be able to tell you where tot get this. Great idea.

• Lrjones

For this type of bed, search...... the internet with search term ---> ""Aurora Platform Bed with lift"" (or "lift system")

• Rose

Couldn't you use the lift hinges in the back of a car for this?

• Glyniss M

I have wondered if the springs on a staight flat garage door would work. My grandparents had that type of garage door and I remember it opening like that...

• Susan E

The one shown is a $300 kit. You can find the struts at Amazon.com for $24. http://smile.amazon.com/SUSPA®-Spring-Strut-Shock-C16-08054/dp/B0041EBSX4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412521267&sr=8-1&keywords=rv+bed+struts. Read the reviews. Of course you have to get brackets, build the box, and hinge the top, but there must be a video on YouTube.

• Lrjones

Ohh yeaahhh OK.. What about those springs and hinges from an attic door with the steps that pull down... We had one up north in our house... (In FL now and haven't see those here)...but I'm sure home depot guys would help you... I'm sure they have heard this question a bunch of times!! -Linda

• Lrjones

BTW.. I love this site!

• Audrey Pierce

Maybe something like storm door closers but heavy duty like for commercial buildings?

• @Audrey Pierce Nice suggestion, however these door closing devices will prevent the top from staying up. Closers are designed to slow the closing of the door while controlling the door. The lift devices that everyone is speaking about has a spring inside that takes the weight off of the cover so it will stay up and takes the weight off of the cover making it easy to open.

• Susan

We have a king size built in bed in our master bedroom, this would be great since I always have to recruit my Hubby to lift it every time I need to get my Christmas decorations out from underneath.

• Liz Meek

These types of beds are common in RV's.

• UdyRegan

I have a friend who uses this bed as well! And you'd be surprised at how quickly the storage space under there gets filled up when things start racking up in your house! At least it's concealed and out of sight hey?

• Linda McLellan

All rv trailers have under bed storage like this

• Letty

RVs have these beds. I had one, where the hydrolic assists in lifting but not in keeping it open. I had to use a bat so it wouldn't fall on me. The one we have right now stays open on its own. Keep an eye out for that. You want to make sure it supports your mattress weight and not fall on you.

• Lori Ellis

IKEA has this bed

• Valerie Hammond

Murphy bed kit

• Edith Valdez

My sister got a bed like this from Ikia.

• LeiLani

MALM storage bed - Ikea - of course! LOL

• Gigi

That looks like the gizmo used on our bed in our RV. It was a queen size bed and I stored all my fabric under the mattress. Wonderful storage. Didn't think of it in a house but a good idea if space is at a premium. Go to one of those large RV stores. Can't remember the name.

• MarkSindone

Wouldn't most hardware stores have hinges that can help you get the storage function you want? Just be careful that you get one that can support the weight of the bed!

• Susan

Check your local RV supply store. Many RVs are equipped with this type of lift.

• Barbara

I'm also interested in doing this at our vacation home. You can order the kit here: http://storagebeds.com/products-page/diy-kits/storage-bed-hardware-kit/

• Melina

I bought mine through a manufacturer that builds motor homes.

• Diane Fairbanks

IKEA makes a bed that has this feature for a reasonable price

• Suzi tyler

I just saw it at IKEA! Suzi

• Jan T

I purchased this style bed, matching headboard and queen sized mattress from a company in Mesa, Arizona. I believe the store was called "Lift and Store". The owner was very nice and it has been run for many years. They have some really great space saving ideas. You can google the name and find it for sure.

• Larry Dobbins

Rockler.com has something like this. Search on "Bed Lift". Prices start at $130. You'll need to know the weight of your mattress and it's supporting platrom frame (no box frame matress allowed) to get the mechanism with the appropriate lifting power -- not to much and not to little!

• Paula

Rockwell tools has mechanism

• Shay McCann

Where can I purchase this bed at not the mattress ?