Lisa B.
Lisa B.
  • Pontiac, MI
Asked on Sep 14, 2012

What is the easiest way to de-construct wooden pallets?

ZMary BethLisa B.
+8

I am spending an awful lot of time trying to take apart pallets! Is there a certain way to do it that is easy and the boards won't get broken? Thanks!
  • Mary Beth

Hi, Lisa B. ~ I found the tutorial by Funky Junk Donna to be the best...I learned a lot! http://www.funkyjunkinteriors.net/2011/04/all-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about.html

• Z

Thanks for the link Mary Beth. That's great information. And thanks to Donna from Funky Junk for providing the info in the first place!

• Lisa B.

Thanks for the info, Mary Beth!

• Mary Beth

My pleasure, Lisa and Becky! I made my husband 'dumpster dive' for some pallets a few weeks ago...that's why I found the link!

• Z

One of our neighbors has a couple on their burn pile, but because of the drought they've not burned them yet. I do need to email and ask if I can have them. I know they're just going to burn them, but not sure I'd feel right in taking them. I'm weird like that.

• Mary Beth

You're not weird at all. I always 'want' to pull stuff from the curb that is out for garbage pickup but can never quite do it because what 'IF' it's just there but not out for garbage! I did a tongue in cheek post about making my husband get me pallets out of a dumpster. If you would like to check it out, it's here: http://cupcakesandcrinoline.com/2012/08/dumpster-diving-for-pallets/

• Z

That's basically what I was thinking. What if they decide they want to use the wood from it?

• Mary Beth

In the case of the pallets I got, they were definitely in the trash and were going to be hauled away. It is a construction site.

• Z

Around here you can get in trouble for taking things from construction sites. Even if they are in their dumpster and really really trash.

• Mary Beth

Oh oh....I thought I was in the clear....I better be more careful next time!

• Z

Around here you have to ask for permission. And I'd still make sure I got it from someone other than just a laborer just to be safe. Quite often the "trash" is sold.