"Faux" wood frame

Hi - I have two very large mirrors that I got from Home Depot a few years ago. They have a plastic frame that is supposed to look like wide wood trim in white. They really aren't that bad, but I'd like to change them up a little - any ideas? The frames are about 5" wide all the way around the mirrors - and they are approximately 36" x 48" each. I hang them side by side in my dining area for more light reflection. My "style" is a eclectic blend of soft aqua blues/greens with a coastal/shabby chic w/some glam blended in..... any ideas on what I can do with the frames to give them a little more style?
q painting faux wood mirror frames, dining room ideas, painted furniture, wall decor, Managed to find a photo with a little of one of the mirrors in it
Managed to find a photo with a little of one of the mirrors in it.
  6 answers
  • Carol Oswald Carol Oswald on Feb 05, 2015
    Layer them over distressed reclaimed barn wood or shabby distressed pallet wood. Use the back layer to "frame" the frame. :)
  • OnBlissStreet OnBlissStreet on Feb 05, 2015
    Love the distressed look of course, but for something a little more unique, you could modge podge book pages or vintage maps.
  • Cheryl DeBellis Cheryl DeBellis on Feb 06, 2015
    If you like the coastal look (I don't know how much or any of this kind of stuff you have) how about some hot glue and some crushed shells or small pebbles on the frames? If you want to go another way you could mod podge some pages from maritime / coastal books or manuals. You could also go with book pages of any style you prefer that you could change often according to your decorating style in the room!
    • See 2 previous
    • Tee Tee on Feb 06, 2015
      @Cheryl DeBellis - That is so cool! Great job :) Once I have a decision made and the frames completed I will definitely post the pics.
  • Carol Oswald Carol Oswald on Feb 06, 2015
    AH! Madge Podge would be fun too! I would look for an old book with ships diagrams or oceangoing maps. That would be very cool.
  • Donna Donna on Feb 08, 2015
    You could paint the frame and hot glue a complimentary wide ribbon or glue some decorative paper into the inset area of the frame.
  • LeiLani LeiLani on Feb 10, 2015
    Or for a nautical feel - a little rope accent is always nice.
Your comment...