Julie
Julie
  • San Diego, CA

How can I get the rust stains off of this 1950's metal lid?

Bert MillerSue MonroeRobin Miller Cresci
+12

It was sitting with the lid upside down and exposed to indoor air for years. The metal is shiny like it is stainless steel yet it rusted. The metal on the lazy susan didn't rust at. See photos below
q how to get rust stains off of 1950 s metal lid, cleaning tips, how to, repurposing upcycling
  • Leigh Rowan

vinegar and/or baking soda is a natural scrubber. I have also used salt, but not knowing the coating that might not be good. I would also get a mr clean white scrubber.

• Adell

You could try a cleaner called CLR, it is really good at cleaning a lot of things and I know it works on some things like it took off the rust from my bathroom sink and tub, that were Porecelin.

• Renee

I've heard soaking in vinegar will remove rust...but I've not tried it

• Della Annette

leigh is right....baking soda scrub with vinegar.

• Swan Road Designs

Don't want to be a wet blanket here but your lid could be aluminum and, if that's the case, all that you'll probably be able to do is to slightly diminish the pitted "feel" of the lid. As for the lazy susan, I'm pretty certain it is chrome and not at all the same metal as the lid.

• 1547698

I agree with Swan Road Designs, it's most likely chrome or chrome plated. I looks oxidized, which is why it seems rusted. You could clean it up and have it re-chromed, but I don't know a DIY way to do that. PS baking soda might scratch the chrome and leave it looking hazy.

• Swan Road Designs

@Juju (Journeys With Juju) I was referring to the lazy susan as chrome, not the lid, which I suggested to the original poster that it might be aluminum.

• Jill

Soak it in coca cola

• Carol Potts

I have used TarnX on items like this and it will clean it up.

• 9530106

I use good old SOS pads for this type of thing. They will not scratch, but will remove the tarnish and rust. As others have said, there may still be some pitting that can't be removed.

• Paul Gauthier

It looks like it could be pitted, also. Some of the answers here are good ones and if you can get the heavy stuff off and find that it is certainly stainless steel, try some SOS pads. I use it all the time on stainless and it does NOT leave abrasive marks.

• Ryta Power

Have you tried a Magic Eraser. They truly are amazing!

• Robin Miller Cresci

I have heard that the acid in Cola will help treat rust. Its worth a try?!

• Sue Monroe

My dad used Coca Cola to remove rust. He said it had to be the original Coke, not diet or other brands. I use Hydrogen Peroxide to remove rust around my bathroom sink faucet. Squirt a little on, let it bubble up & wipe it off when it gets loosened up. Doesn't harm the faucet.

• Bert Miller

Try WD-40 and a very fine steel wool. The WD-40 can be washed off. It is a rust remover.