Ways to repel skunks

DORLISTerri SJudy Shea
+4

Our neighbor has skunks in their wooded lot and we are afraid they will wander over to our yard. We have a shed and also a deck that might appeal to them to live under. How can we keep them away?
The photo shows one that accidentally got into our chipmunk trap last year. We don't want that to happen again. We would rather deter them from coming around at all.
  • Wanda Arganbright
    Wanda Arganbright

mothballs

• Katrina Warren
    Katrina Warren

@Virginia A Mothballs are poisonous to pets & other animals if eaten, they will cause internal bleeding, & death. Don't use mothballs where pets can get to them!

• Candie goodno
    Candie goodno

Our local zoo recommended mothballs when we had a similar problem. Worked great!

• Judy Shea
    Judy Shea

If you put the mothballs in a nylon stocking, they won't be free to eat.

• Terri S
    Terri S

didn't help me with one under my shed. Neither did traps. So far the skunk is winning. Also tried lights and human hair, and amonia poured over the flooring and doused rags with it and put them in the hole.

• CindyB
      CindyB

I've heard that peppermint oil keeps mice and ants away. I wonder if that would work for those stinky skunks?

• DORLIS
    DORLIS

I am not sure it would work, but I use "Liquid Fence" to keep deer, etc away from my vegetables and flowers. I got it at Tractor Supply. It is based on garlic and rotten egg. The smell goes away after a bit (at least to humans). You spray in on your plants or wherever you do not want animals.