Basement 1/2 wall taking too much room- any suggestions?

+2
II have a small front room as it is. But my basement 1/2 wall is taken up most of this room. Any suggestions on how to make the most of this space? Here's a picture of the eye sore.

q basement 1 2 wall taken to much room
  • Ken Ken on Dec 28, 2017
    Beauty is in the eye... If you replaced this wall with a wooden spindle railing, the visual impact to the room would be much less.

• Dsm28402280 Dsm28402280 on Dec 28, 2017
    I suppose your right, but I still couldn't move a couch there. Maybe move the whole thing. Into garage. Lol. Or have a fold up stairway. That would work, right??
    Good thinking Ken, thank you.

• Linda Vee Linda Vee on Dec 29, 2017
    I would suggest a trap door entrance to the basement. This would work well if you don't need everyday entrance to the basement. You would be able to remove the half wall and place your couch over the trap door. Perhaps you would want to have sliders under your couch for easy sliding.

• Ifixstuff Ifixstuff on Dec 29, 2017
    I agree with Linda that a large trap door would avail all the floor space that is right now being used by the stairwell. You need the steps to access the basement at some point. The only other way would be to put another access point into the basement (like bilco doors from the outside?)

• William William on Dec 31, 2017
    Not knowing the layout of the house and basement I would see if the stairs could be relocated to an outside wall. Maybe the wall where the fireplace and recliner are. Build a wall with a door. Would take up about four feet and open the room up. Codes would not allow a platform/trap door.