How do I do a bathroom reno in the right order?

+2

What is the correct order of operation to redo bathroom stripped down to studs. Shower already installed.

• Oliva Oliva on Feb 03, 2019

Schlutter underlayment for walls and floors is also a good investment. If tiling walls, epoxy grout is more costly, but easier to maintain. Any tile with a great deal of grout lines/scallops, etc. needed will take the tiler longer to complete, due to detail.

Tile with many "waves", etc. are usually more maintenance. The larger the wall tiles, the fewer the grout lines.

Research countertop materials before commiting time and money.

Marble tiles and hard water do not work well, together.

Look for bath fixtures that match your family's usage patterns- chrome and some brushed nickel require daily cleaning and drying to avoid water spots.

LED lights on dimmers and a very good exhaust fan are worth every penny.

Underfloor heating is nice, if you live in a colder climate.

Get the best insulation value available and check closely for any air leaks.

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Feb 04, 2019

Start at the ceiling work your way down to floor

• Shore grandmom Shore grandmom on Feb 09, 2019

Check all plumbing electric and hvac to make sure it is in proper working order and that it's where you still want it. An alternative for heat if you have hot water baseboard is to put in a toe kick heater under the vanity (electric and pipes for heat need to be run there). It's really nice not to have rusted baseboard in a bathroom. If you don't already have one, run electric and duct work for an exhaust fan. While everything is open, check for mold from old leaks. Then, cement board for shower, greenboard for walls. Paint the ceiling and walls. Next would be installing flooring in the shower and rest of the bathroom (in-floor heat is wonderful). In-floor heat is installed only in open areas, not under vanity or toilet. For the door and shower thresholds, I use the same granite as is on the countertop. (If there's room, I also use the same granite for the seat and shelf above the toilet, too.) Put trim up around the door. Then the wall tile. Decide how high you want your tile to go. I like mine about half way up except in the shower. I like the tile in the shower to run above the shower head. I get a neutral field tile and use a decorative tile as an accent. Put in vanity and medicine cabinet or mirror. Then finish plumbing and electric.