How can I convert a bathtub bathroom into a walk in shower bathroom?

+3
At our age (mid 80's) a bathtub isn't a friendly option. A walk in shower is much safer and more practical.
  • M. M.. M. M.. on Apr 15, 2017
    I had a walk - in shower once and over time, the tile floor sagged and the water all ran out since the floor didn't tilt towards the drain anymore. Ceramic tile, stone, etc., is very heavy, make sure your floor is reinforced. Also, using some sort of foam gasket strips, a bit like the seal on a refrigerator door will act as a berm for the water, yet be soft enough to step on or roll a wheelchair over. I've seen some that is about 1.5" high/thick.
    If that doesn't excite you, I've also seen extra long shower curtains that have an thick, heavy-ish hem material that doesn't really soak up the floor water, but blocks in from leaving the shower floor area. Kind of like how sandbags work in floods, but not that heavy.. probably a synthetic to be mold and mildew resistant AND machine washable.
    There are track drains, like a long, grated track in the floor which is supposed to keep the water in the shower area, but cleaning them involves removing the grate and digging out soap scum, hair, on your knees, etc. My experience with those is that they are SO flat and smooth, with such small holes, the water can go right over it onto the outside floor. I tried a curtain as described above WITH a track drain and they worked okay together. Good Luck, and remember to take pictures!!!

• Roanne Roanne on Apr 26, 2017
    A bathtub can be removed and replaced by a shower. If money is not a problem, a walk in bathtub with a shower is an option.

• Sharon Sharon on Apr 28, 2017
    A transfer bench and grab bars are also a good cheap choice.

• Lea Swenson Lea Swenson on Apr 28, 2017
    We replaced one of our tub and showers with a 5' shower. The base and walls locked together so it was well sealed. A much safer option for you than climbing into a tub.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Jan 18, 2022

We just had this done by a professional and it turned out to be a very hard job for him...and us. I would do it again but would choose a different contractor. Stepping into a shower that took the place of a whirlpool tub is so nice, wish we had it done earlier.

The suggestion of a walk-in bathtub with a shower will give you pause to think about it. You have walked into the tub and sit there buck naked waiting for the water to fill, add in a few shivers. Same deal when the water drains out, unless you start the shower until it all drains out. You are stuck there until the water drains.