Laundry Room into Bathroom

+2
I have a large laundry room where the washer & dryer would fit side by side on the short wall, leaving about 12' of space. I would love to have a shower, toilet & small sink in this room to give us an extra bathroom. Is this possible? Someone told me that the plumbing wouldn't be large enough for the bathroom waste.

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Dec 10, 2017
    Hi Harrow, are you planning this as a do it yourself project or will you have professional help? It is definite possible to do it but the plumbing must be changed. My daughter and her hubby bought a very large Amish home that had no electricity or bathrooms. There was only an "out-house" built separately from the main house but connected by a tiny hallway. Believe me when I say that being 7 - 8 months pregnant in the winter and having to use a cold room was not fun. They ended up getting professional help to complete the project, but he did a lot of the work himself. So to answer your question, yes it is possible and yes, you'll most likely need to change the plumbing. Wishing you the best.

• Teacup8885 Teacup8885 on Dec 10, 2017
    N e way you can sell or trade washer n dryer aide by side for dryer on top n washer on bottom..??

• Bijous Bijous on Dec 10, 2017
    Is that 12 feet linear or 12 square? If you have 12 square, you can put in a small shower, pedestal sink and slender toilet. But there are distances that need to be adhered to for space around the sink and toilet. You will need to hook the new line into your existing sewer line(s). To do this well, you need to know pitch and drain sizes needed. It is advisable to have a pro put in the plumbing and any additional lighting needed. The rest you can do yourself. Good luck.

• William William on Dec 10, 2017
    Plan your layout. Get a plumber to do the plumbing. From there you can do the rest yourself. Walls, flooring, fixture installation, etc.

• C C on Dec 10, 2017
    Hi Linda Skilut and Bijous_2010. Thanks for responding. #1, I am a widow and 72 yrs old. NO, I do not plan on doing the work myself. #2 that is 12 linear feet BUT with the side by side washer & dryer taking up the 6.5'width and about 4 or the 12 linear feet, that leaves me a room about 12' X 6.5'. I know with a corner shower, pedestal sink and small toilet, I do have enough room. I'm just worried that they are going to have to gut the room (drywall) and floor to put in pipes and if they are only made (size wise) for washing machine waste, how will they work for waste? This is all on the second floor so there's no going in the basement and looking at the pipes besides there is NO basement as we are built on a cement slab as most homes in AZ are (due to termites).

William, if my husband were still with me, this job would be a cinch. We installed more than one bathroom in our days together in more than one home. Yes, I can do the drywall and floor but I am not good at plumbing. Guess I will have to get an estimate from a plumber and leave it at that.

Thanks everyone for trying to help.