How do I refurbish a bathtub in a rental?

+1

The bathtub is very old and it always look dirty since the porcelain is worn off. How do you pain it? We won't do bathfitters, since we don't own the house. TIA

• Lizbeth Lizbeth on Feb 05, 2019

I've not done it before but I'm sure someone who has will post with painting tips. My suggestion is to be sure to get your landlord's permission before doing anything. I've seen some bad DIY painting jobs on tubs myself (chipping, peeling, uneven color) and if he/she has too, it may be hard to get permission to do it. Still, you don't want to be slammed for damaging the tub when you move out so I'd definitely ask.

• Mad29883817 Mad29883817 on Feb 05, 2019

Rustoleum has a kit u mix and roll on the paint but only comes in 3 colors

• 2dogal 2dogal on Feb 06, 2019

Please, since you are renting, do NOT do anything to the tub without the owner's/management company's approval. You may be responsible for the cost of a new tub if whatever you want to do with it (like painting it) does not turn out well.

Put an inch of water in the tub. Pour about a cup or two of bleach in the water. Leave it there overnight. See if that cleans it. If it doesn't, and if it were me, I'd then put a tub mat down and draw a shower curtain across the tub to hide it. After all, it's a rental.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Feb 08, 2019

2dogal is right. In spite of your best intentions to make improvements to the tub, you may very likely loose your damage deposit.

You may also be fined for making 'unauthorized changes' to the unit if you do not have permission in writing first, from both the owner and the management company.